Check Engine Light - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check Engine Light

Filled up with petrol last night, 7% Heptane.....(93 Octane). Drove home. All was cool. Drove to work this morning. No problem.

When I started the car at 6:30 for the drive home, my GTO with 1,900 miles on the clock, shined me with the CHECK ENGINE idiot light on the right side of the guage cluster.

I took a look at the manual and the light indicates a problem with the emissions hardware. The book says it could be a loose fuel cap. Tried that, still lit. They also mention that it could be bad fuel.

Anyone else have this problem with miles this low?
Guess I get to visit my friends at the dealership.
Oh well, they need to plug the holes they drilled in the front bumper anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:48 PM

I have the same problem, I have about 5500 on mine and it's been off and on since about 2000. I can get gas from a station and it goes off, get it again from thesame place and it comes back on dunno benn going to carry it back to the dealer to get it checked
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:17 PM

If you don't tighten the gas cap until it clicks, the light will come on and stay on until you get it reset at the dealer. A huge PITA, but that's OBD II.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 PM

That happened to me once, I didn't have to go to the dealer, but it did take more than a day. I believe it goes on the amount of code free starts after...or maybe just ignition turns...but it eventually went off for me by the second morning after I noticed the light on. Call the dealer, but it might just shut off on it's own in the meantime (like with me).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
If you don't tighten the gas cap until it clicks, the light will come on and stay on until you get it reset at the dealer. A huge PITA, but that's OBD II.

You don't need to take your car to a dealer to reset your computer, Just disconnect your battery and tap the brake pedal a few times (or wait 15 mintues) And then reconnect the battery. This resets your computer

You tap the brake pedal so the lights draw any capasatance out of the system.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA&04GTO
That happened to me once, I didn't have to go to the dealer, but it did take more than a day. I believe it goes on the amount of code free starts after...or maybe just ignition turns...but it eventually went off for me by the second morning after I noticed the light on. Call the dealer, but it might just shut off on it's own in the meantime (like with me).

+1

Same thing with my BMW. It should reset itself after some short period of ime (may take a day or two).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 AM

I stand corrected. Had one of the first OBD II cars -- and when that light came on -- hello service desk. All I can is say is that after it happens the first time, you kind of learn to make sure your gas cap is bolted on before taking off.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 PM

My light was staying on so I took it to the dealer and they ran a smoke test on the car and found that one of my hoses was loose. They tightened the hose and haven't had any problems since. The only problem with this procedure is that your car has to be cold so they will want to keep your car overnight and then run this test first thing in the morning.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Check Engine Light

First of all,,, There are thousands of reasons the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT will appear "on". The most common is a P0440 ( LARGE LEAK DETECTED ) in the fuel system. This is caused by either leaving the motor running while fueling up or not correctly putting the gas cap back on tight...

The " smoke test " indicated above can be performed by the dealer and is used to find other leaks other than the cap...

Be aware that the Loose Cap is not checked for each and every time you start your car. It can take as many as 3 days with multiple starts and stops before it will go out, if that was the original cause.......

Best thing to do is to listen for 4-5 clicks of the cap when having your car fueled or better yet... do it yourself!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:35 PM

It's quite funny how we train ourselves to listen to the clicks now, eh?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in