which clutch to get any help please - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which clutch to get any help please

Ok I have a 06 m6 gto and I want to upgrade my clutch which one would be recommended and what will I need to go with it... I've been told SPEC by people and I've been told MONSTER... I want to know what the better buy... I know monster is more expensive but I'm ok with paying a high price for something that is good if MONSTER is the way to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
What are your power mods, what is your tolerance level for a finicky clutch, how much do you want to spend and what are you going to do with the car? My only other comment is Spec has not proven to be a very good option or have good support.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I have a stock gto basically, I haven't done anything to the engine... Money isn't an issue but I I'd like to make my gto powerful and fast as heck without any boost... That's for later down the road... After I install a clutch the next thing is the fast lsxr IM setup... Then kooks LT headers and Cora sport exhaust..Then torquer v2 cam setup and I was told by a mustang guy(idk if it's true or not) but I'll have to invest in a solid rear axle...any advise would be much appreciated

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Spec twin disc clutch rated for 800 hp and cost about $1400. I would NOT recommend it as it is too grabby for my tastes and have to put up with a constant whirring noise when clutch pedal is pressed before putting it into gear. The only good thing is it feels like the stock pedal, no extra effort required. Good luck with your search. Have been told by a couple of people (afterwards) who are mechanics that twin disc clutches are mainly for racing, which I don't do but was wanting a clutch that could handle the power I eventually would be making. Live and learn...

1-7/8" ARH LTs, 3" Magnaflow exh.,Spec twin disc clutch, 402 stroker , Fast 102 w/Nick Williams TB, 1000 hp shaft & axles, cam, fuel & suspension upgrades. 500 rwhp, 484 rwtq
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

did u have to buy anything else like the lines or throw out bearing or anything? I just want to know everything I needed to get this job complete
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsgto3688 View Post
did u have to buy anything else like the lines or throw out bearing or anything? I just want to know everything I needed to get this job complete
Replaced the slave cylinder as well but have read about some guys replacing the master cylinder as well and others saying you don't have to. I didn't. Didn't replace any lines or cables either.

1-7/8" ARH LTs, 3" Magnaflow exh.,Spec twin disc clutch, 402 stroker , Fast 102 w/Nick Williams TB, 1000 hp shaft & axles, cam, fuel & suspension upgrades. 500 rwhp, 484 rwtq
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 AM

With that cam i would suggest a monster stage 2 for street car and stage 3 for strip. And you don't need a solid rear, that's like a step back (unless you only use the car for drag racing)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Qnko pretty much summed it up. The "3" is very grabbing and chatters and squeals on the street. Twins are very nice as they have a light pedal. I had a Monster 3 and now have a McLeod RST twin. Very soft engagement and easy to drive. You could also look at a LS7 clutch for less money. You don't need a master but for sure replace the slave and install a remote bleeder. Besides easier bleeding you can then easily flush the clutch fluid every oil change (i recommend). I'd add that the FAST IHO should be one of the last things you do not the first. The FAST with a throttle body will cost $1,300 plus the $400-$500 tune you'll maybe gain 15-20 HP. Get the long tubes first and then the cam. You'll gain 60-80 HP.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Ok thank you so much for all the advise everyone...if I could pay you guys for your knowledge I would you are so helpful... I'm going to post a link, if this is good let me know if I need to add anything else I would appreciate the advise... Again thank you so much for all the advise and tips so far... And svede1212 I was planning on getting the intake manifold, headers, and exhaust all together but I'll do what you suggested and just buy the headers exhaust and cam instead...thank you... Here's the link

http://marylandspeed.com/monster-clu...ii-p-2084.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in