Clutch just failed - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch just failed

Left me on the side of the road. Pedal goes all the way to the floor and dumping fluid under the vehicle. The bearing had been making noise for about a week.

A few questions:

What is a decent moderately priced clutch and from where do you source? I do NOT drive this vehicle hard.

Anybody got a step by step how-to on transmission removal. Especially tips/tricks.

How do you remove the trim inside the vehicle to get to the shifter?

I've learned that I can use the F-Body throwout bearing to replace the stock bearing. I've also heard that a special tool is required to disconnect the line. Anybody know anything about that?

Going to begin disassembly right away. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to vxssls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpcjj View Post
Left me on the side of the road. Pedal goes all the way to the floor and dumping fluid under the vehicle. The bearing had been making noise for about a week.

A few questions:

What is a decent moderately priced clutch and from where do you source? I do NOT drive this vehicle hard.

Anybody got a step by step how-to on transmission removal. Especially tips/tricks.

How do you remove the trim inside the vehicle to get to the shifter?

I've learned that I can use the F-Body throwout bearing to replace the stock bearing. I've also heard that a special tool is required to disconnect the line. Anybody know anything about that?

Going to begin disassembly right away. Any help appreciated.
sounds like the slave cylinder if its dumping fluid
dont need any special tools as far as i know
get a braided line and remote bleeder while you have the box out
here is a how to its on a commodore but its the same thing basically
Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

222/224 112
241 ported heads 11:1
comp 918's
OTR
25% UDP
ported TB
4 into 1's 1 5/8,3"cats,twin 3" X force
M6,ripshifter
[email protected],390rwhp

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like vxssls1 said, you have a failed slave cylinder. Depending on the miles and having the trans out you may as well replace the clutch. As far as choosing a clutch, do you plan on doing any major power mods in the future?

The trim around the shifter can be lifted off. I normally pull it up towards the rear where the console door is. There is one screw under the small storage bin under the radio. You have to remove the rubber matting/tray underneath it to get to the screw. With a bit of effort the shifter knob can be pulled off the shifter shaft. Just wiggle it as much as you can while pulling straight up on it. If that doesn't work there are four tabs on the shifter that secures it to the shifter shaft. You can use a small flat screwdriver to lift each tab off the shaft. Then you can stick a small object, I used tooth picks, between the shifter tab and the shaft while the tab is lifted. Once you've installed the 4 tooth picks or whatever you decide to use, installed the knob will come right off with little effort. The bracket that holds the rubber boot that's around the shifter has to be removed from underneath the car. I think the nuts are 13mm.

Disconnect the hydraulic line on the side of the trans that goes to the slave cylinder and all the wiring connections. When removing the trans make sure you take the trans off the rear of the bell housing. After removing my trans for the second time I found out that was the best and easiest way. The upper most bolts that attach the trans to the bell housing are a little tricky to get to. If you place a floor jack under the trans and remove the 4 bolts and the trans bracket, you will be able to lower the trans a couple of inches so you can get to the bolts easier. Once you remove the trans, remove the bell housing to engine bolts. Then you can remove the clutch assembly if you have to. Oh and yes you can use a F-body slave. I chose to use a new GTO slave instead. Be careful when you tighten the new slave on because it doesn't take to much effort to strip the aluminum bolt holes. Right now that's about all I can think of because I'm rushing of to work. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll get back to you as time permits. Try to get a remote bleeder line and stainless steel braided lines if you can. You will thank yourself later.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 06-03-2008 at 08:51 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You remove the tranny from the bellhousing first? Most all clutch jobs I do I remove the bell housing from the motor and just leave it connected to the tranny. Or is there not enough room to get the tranny out with the bell housing attached?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
You remove the tranny from the bellhousing first? Most all clutch jobs I do I remove the bell housing from the motor and just leave it connected to the tranny. Or is there not enough room to get the tranny out with the bell housing attached?
There is very little room. It was tough to get it off with the bell housing attached. But it was a major pain in the ass to get it back on. I shaved about 2 hours or more off the removal and install of the trans by doing it the the other way. I destroyed my pilot bearing trying to get it back in with bell housing attached because I had to go in an angle to clear the body. Trust me it's easier to take the trans off first. Here are some instructions from another forum.

Clutch and Flywheel Install

Hope this helps.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks to all. Anyone done the remote bleeder setup?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
Like vxssls1 said, you have a failed slave cylinder. Depending on the miles and having the trans out you may as well replace the clutch. As far as choosing a clutch, do you plan on doing any major power mods in the future?
I ended up buying the Perfection clutch kit (Flywheel, plate, disk, pilot bearin & release bearing, lifetime warranty). I plan to keep the car all original with no mods. Based on the amount of noise & burning smell, I'd say that the release bearing failed and the pressure plate is toast. With 47K I might as well replace it anyway.

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 06-03-2008 at 04:20 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Many thanks to all. Anyone done the remote bleeder setup?
I'm using the remote bleeder and stainless steel clutch lines.

Stainless steel clutch lines;
Classic Tube - Product Search

Remote bleeder line. Ask for Jeff Creech (919-680-3966);
Carolina Auto Masters

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
Disconnect the hydraulic line on the side of the trans that goes to the slave cylinder
OK, I'm an idiot. How do you disconnect this?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK, I'm an idiot. How do you disconnect this?
You have to pry the thin metal clip on the connector outward and the two pieces separate. The metal clip looks like a piece of wire. The two parts will separate pretty easily.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in