Cold Engine + Cold Tires = Runs like crap! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cold Engine + Cold Tires = Runs like crap!

Wanted to see if others are experiencing this with their LS2 M6's. I normally let the engine warm for 2-3 minutes before driving then when I go, engine says "no". The temp guage still shows cold until I drive another 2-3 minutes. I'm not trying to punch it either, just normal steady acceleration. I did not notice this in warm weather (above 60F) as much but seem to be noticing it with 35-50F outside temps. There is just no power and acceleration is not smooth. It seems like the engine is holding back. (Note, i do not have an air intake, etc yet).

An additional issue I am having is with the BFG T/A tires. When the car sits overnight and until I drive 2-3 miles to get the tires warmed, the car feels like a truck with unbalanced tires.

Between the engine and tires, the first 5 minutes of my commute are rather unpleasant.

Any input or suggestions? Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:14 PM

ya i have had same thing with my auto sometimes when its like 50-60 degrees in the morning it seems slower and the tires just plain suck!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey GoatMan. Well, I would say that I'm glad to hear you are having the problem too...but. I guess the LS2 just needs more warmup time. For the tires, maybe I will get some heated little pink tire booties to keep the rubber warm and tires from thumping. *gag*. For the record GM...BFG 400 treadwear tires on my GTO SUCK! Please put some real tires on future goat owners cars. At least it is a fixable problem.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2005
Wanted to see if others are experiencing this with their LS2 M6's. I normally let the engine warm for 2-3 minutes before driving then when I go, engine says "no". The temp guage still shows cold until I drive another 2-3 minutes. I'm not trying to punch it either, just normal steady acceleration. I did not notice this in warm weather (above 60F) as much but seem to be noticing it with 35-50F outside temps. There is just no power and acceleration is not smooth. It seems like the engine is holding back. (Note, i do not have an air intake, etc yet).

An additional issue I am having is with the BFG T/A tires. When the car sits overnight and until I drive 2-3 miles to get the tires warmed, the car feels like a truck with unbalanced tires.

Between the engine and tires, the first 5 minutes of my commute are rather unpleasant.

Any input or suggestions? Thx in advance.
I've never had that problem with my LS2
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:55 PM

My car does what sounds like dieseling when cold. Not quite knocking, but like a diesel driven at very light throttle. After a very short time, it sounds normal, but I wait for the temp guage to read normal operating temp before getting on it. Eventually, I'm getting an oil pressure or temperature guage, and a volt guage.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Good 2 Go. I agree. That sounds like what I experience also.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 2 go
My car does what sounds like dieseling when cold. Not quite knocking, but like a diesel driven at very light throttle. After a very short time, it sounds normal, but I wait for the temp guage to read normal operating temp before getting on it. Eventually, I'm getting an oil pressure or temperature guage, and a volt guage.
Mine sounds exactly like you describe until it warms up. I think it is piston slap, my LT1s do the same thing but sound different maybe the difference is that the block is aluminum on LS2

2005 GTO, M6, Quicksilver / Black
2003 GTP, Silver / Black, 3.4" Pulley
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, Hotcam, SLPs, Tune
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, stock
1994 Cadillac STS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:32 AM

My LT1 used to have a slight knock when cold. I always thought that was piston slap. My LS1 didn't do any of that, but it made different sounds. Prolly had a spun bearing, I could hear metal-to-metal thrashing from right around the front of the block. Wasn't super loud, but enough that I was aware of it. At that point, it had over 100,000 miles on it, so I didn't worry 'bout it. She still ran stout!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 AM

no problems like that with my ls2 or tires
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:00 PM

I havn't had either of those problems, and here in Germany, they have a law that you aren't allowed to leave your car idle for more than 30 seconds. Otherwise, you could get a ticket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in