Coolant Troubles need quick help - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coolant Troubles need quick help

Hey guys, so my coolant gauge has been randomly maxing out, mostly when idling and after reading posts on here I decided the easiest thing to do would be to check the coolant in the radiator. After the car had been sitting for an hour I opened the cap and it looked low. After returning from walmart to get some coolant I waited about 20 minutes and started opening the rad cap and heard a strong sound of liquid flowing, after 10 seconds of this tons of coolant started gushing out of the bottom of my car. I have no idea why it did this now and not earlier. Could it be that it was too hot? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It could be from overheating, you need to find out were it's leaking from. Hose burst? Radiator cracked? Water pump?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I do not have a jack to get under it right now so I cant tell. But it was definitely coming from something on the bottom right near the overflow tank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Lets start with the basics.

What kind of coolant?
Your radiator cap: Is it original? May need replaced.
Thermostat failure?
Age and condition of hoses. One slit from age and then burst?
Sounds from your description a hose burst. This does not explain why your coolant is low. Temp maxing out..... I'd concentrate on the thermostat and replace hoses and a new radiator cap. Make sure you are using DEXCOOL and do not mix it with standard anti freeze.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I used the recommended Dexcool coolant. The rad cap fits and seals fine from what I can tell.

I just spent an hour under the car and seems to have located the general area the coolant is leaking from. When I pour coolant into the radiator it does not leak, but when I put a decent amount straight into the overflow tank it starts leaking. I can't see much with a simple jack but it seems that the leak might be coming from whatever the overflow tube goes down into (I can't see exactly what or where that is).

I really appreciate any help you guys can give as I've only had the car for two days and it's already un-drivable
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole S View Post
I used the recommended Dexcool coolant. The rad cap fits and seals fine from what I can tell.

I just spent an hour under the car and seems to have located the general area the coolant is leaking from. When I pour coolant into the radiator it does not leak, but when I put a decent amount straight into the overflow tank it starts leaking. I can't see much with a simple jack but it seems that the leak might be coming from whatever the overflow tube goes down into (I can't see exactly what or where that is).

I really appreciate any help you guys can give as I've only had the car for two days and it's already un-drivable
Just because the cap seats and seals fine doesn't mean its holding pressure. Mine went bad and it looked fine.

You may have narrowed the issue to the overflow tank. Perhaps a crack? Perhaps the hose to it?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in