Could this be bad?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could this be bad??

Over past month I've been running into problem after problem. My car just hit 80k miles fyi. At the beginning of May I had my water pump go out. That resulted in a tow home, a walk to the auto parts store for a new one, and a sunday afternoon installing it (along with a new thermostat and radiator cap). Good as new. Now, a month later, I had something pretty strange happen. I had just cruised for about 10 miles or so to school, and the moment I park, steam comes bellowing out the hood of my car... Ugh, not again.... Well, all it ended up being was, somehow the radiator cap busted loose and sprayed coolant everywhere on the passenger side of my engine bay. Hrmmm... Did I fail to put the cap on tighly last time i checked the fluid level??? Maybe. Is the radiator cap a cheap pos? Possibly.

So that's question #1: has this happened to any of you? If so was it anything more than a loose cap?

Next issue- While under the hood taking care of that, I noticed a fairly clear oily substance on the drivers side top corner of the air conditioning cooler(??? I honestly don't know what it's for. It's the smaller radiator looking thing that sits in front of the radiator) It has the appearance of being a leak, but I can't see what the heck it would be? Pics...

I don't know how long the "leak" has been there, but I can tell you that it hasn't really changed in appearance for the past couple days of normal driving, but I know it wasn't there at all a couple weeks ago. Here's another bit of info that may be related: when I changed the water pump, I accidentally looseded the bolt on the pressurized A/C line and relieved a little bit of pressure before getting it tight again. That was before I realized you don't even need to remover that part to pull the radiator. Anyway, it didn't leak much and the A/C still works.

Issue# 3: My clutch is going. It spun yesterday trying to do a 1st gear burnout from a dead stop. The car rolled forward and I couldn't tell if my tired were even spinning at all. Seemed like maybe the wheels and the clutch were spinning at the same time. In any case, that smell was not the smell of burning rubber... So thats kind of a side not, not sure it that would have anything to do with the "leak" i found.

Any input is appreciated!!! And suggestions for a new clutch would be useful too. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
AC lines have oil circulating thru them. It might just be left over from when you loosened the line or it has a tiny leak. Try some soapy water on the connection and see it if develops bubbles.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's got to be it then. Strange though, only air released when i loosened it, not oil.

Hey Svede btw, What's a guy gotta to ta get one of your famous intakes?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Coolant cap: Get the right one with the proper psi? Get a bargain one or a quality one?

IMO based on more years of dealing with aftermarket parts than most on here are alive....... Unless you are getting something non performance wise (for me anything but cleaners), avoid AutoZone, Advanced Auto type places for brakes, rotors, guaranteed for life items. NOT WORTH the headaches. You have an expensive car to maintain and service, installing junk in a specialty car may result in more hardships than you will want. Opt to get NEW parts made in the states if possible NOT refurbished garbage. Go to a specialized auto store. A lot of garbage coming from AutoZone etc are made in China crap. Not to say NAPA etc don't sell them cause they do. I put more faith in a NAPA type place than a bargain outlet shop.

Will all parts at AutoZone etc fail, no, but knowing people me being one from past experience, installing say a guaranteed for life rebuilt water pump is NOT piece of mind especially when you have to do the job 2x cause the rebuilt one failed.

Will my IMO piss off supporters of such stores? Probably. Unless AutoZone will pay the labor and failure $$$$$$ to make good on a bad part you'd be wise to suck it up and buy a top quality replacement part from the git go. Not to say you won't get a bad part from them but there is more piece of mind buying new than remanded. These cars ain't cheap installing cheap crap in it cheapens it and holds you captive to penny pinching with more often than not doing the job 2x or more. Just sayin.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With regards to your clutch, first consider if power mods are in your future plans. If so, go with a clutch that will handle that future goal. If you are mostly stock, consider the LS7. With bigger power needs consider Monster. with Monster, you can call them and they will recommend the size to handle your needs.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG(T)OFasT View Post
That's got to be it then. Strange though, only air released when i loosened it, not oil.

Hey Svede btw, What's a guy gotta to ta get one of your famous intakes?
Westcoastspeed.com sells them

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in