defog side windows - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
defog side windows

Has anybody had a probelm defogging the side windows? I can never seem to get them to become clear even when the temp in the car get really warm? Any ideas? or am I just crazy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM

Noticed that last night also...they did eventually clear, but it took a long time...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:42 PM

i just turned the main vents on and aimed the door vents up toward the window, worked suprisingly well

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 08:07 PM

Do you have the A/C on? It will take care of the moisture in the car thus reducing the fogging.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer
Do you have the A/C on? It will take care of the moisture in the car thus reducing the fogging.
Both of the above are good points-- will try them next time it rains.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:28 PM

Side window defogger - design flaw

I also have very little air being pushed out through the side window vents. he dealership checked at least one other new GTO on the lot and it had the same condition. I think there is a design flaw here and will also be a safety problem this winter for anyone in the Northeast. I am trying to get my dealership to involve the Pontiac zone rep. Not sure what the process is to get this spotted for a recall. I find that there is plenty of air coming out of the ports at the sides of the front console but little coming out of the side vents when the door is closed. The problem could be as simple as replacing the rubber seal mounted on the door or maybe they just leak internally???
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 03:25 PM

I have found that running the A/C on recirculate will condense most of the moisture out of the car and clear the fogging.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:18 AM

I have the same problem. I went another route. Rainx makes a product you can apply on the inside of the problem glass. It works great. Don't know how long it will last, but it was worth the 5 minutes it took to apply. Give it a shot. Probably not the best solution because the car should be able to defog itself. But in the interim....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb
I also have very little air being pushed out through the side window vents. he dealership checked at least one other new GTO on the lot and it had the same condition. I think there is a design flaw here and will also be a safety problem this winter for anyone in the Northeast. I am trying to get my dealership to involve the Pontiac zone rep. Not sure what the process is to get this spotted for a recall. I find that there is plenty of air coming out of the ports at the sides of the front console but little coming out of the side vents when the door is closed. The problem could be as simple as replacing the rubber seal mounted on the door or maybe they just leak internally???
You might try rereading the owner's manual. There's a specific proceedure in it for defogging the side windows.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:46 PM

HOW TO CONTACT Pontiac About the problem

I posted a similar problem in the LS1Tech web forum, but I those guys didn't appear that interested in the problem.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236071

Here is the last information I found out:

I contacted Pontiac about this issue after taking the car to the dealer to find "the side window defroster is working as designed".

I had an email response & talked directly to the Pontiac customer service rep. She indicated that they have no other owner complaints about the defrosters not working and when the dealer investigated the issue all the other cars worked in the same manner. She also said the only way GM will take care of the issue is if more complaints have been filed.

I can not accept the fact that a window vent installed on a car is not supppose to output air in the defrost mode. I've checked mine a couple of times, and when the defrost is engaged air is blowing out the side of the dash toward the connection point on the door (when the door is closed). But the air does not come out the door mounted vent. I think that leads to either a design or manufacturing flaw. Either way, I think it should be fixed.

Having the AC on or off does not change the amount of air coming out of the vents. So that is not an issue with this problem. The defroster system may work better with the AC engaged, that I do not know.

If everyone can join and raise the same complaint to Pontiac, care of

Bree McArthur
Customer Relationship Manager
Pontiac Customer Assistance Center
[email protected]
866-952-4368 ext. 58954 between the hours of 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. EST. Monday through Friday.

then maybe GM will fix the error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in