Dex-Cool Fears - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dex-Cool Fears

Just purchased 04 GTO with 21K and have experienced 2 temp. spikes. I read all of the disasters with "Death-Cool" & would like any suggestions on possible coolant replacement that still satisfies warranty. I,m definitely not waiting til 5yrs. or 150K for replacing coolant. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L Musser
Just purchased 04 GTO with 21K and have experienced 2 temp. spikes. I read all of the disasters with "Death-Cool" & would like any suggestions on possible coolant replacement that still satisfies warranty. I,m definitely not waiting til 5yrs. or 150K for replacing coolant. Bob

What you hear about dex cool?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L Musser
I've never liked Dex-Cool. I feel that it's partly to blame for the reason why I see so much premature gasket failures on v8 and 6 cyl engines...I've changed intake gaskets on v6's that were only about 2 years old. It even leaks past hose connections, clogs up radiator caps, etc...

I'll probably stick with it in my GTO, but I'll treat it like it needs to be flushed every two years instead of believing that it's a longlife coolant.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Your car is NOT getting hot. It needs the instrument panel either reprogramed or replaced (depends on VIN of car). There is a TSB for this repair! It has nothing to do with your dex-cool coolant.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:24 AM

Agreed. Have your instrument cluster checked out. There's a software problem that causes the temp indicator to spike. If you just started you car after it has been sitting all night -- and you get a max temp indication within a minute or two -- that isn't a coolant problem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Your car is NOT getting hot. It needs the instrument panel either reprogramed or replaced (depends on VIN of car). There is a TSB for this repair! It has nothing to do with your dex-cool coolant.
Make : PONTIAC Model : GTO Year : 2004
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 050849003 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10013486
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
SPEEDOMETER ERRATIC MOVEMENT FUEL GAUGE DOES NOT GO TO FULL AFTER FILLING ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAUGE READS HOT AND COOLANT TEMPERATURE LIGHT ILLUMINATES. *EH

Randy

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO
Make : PONTIAC Model : GTO Year : 2004
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 050849003 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10013486
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
SPEEDOMETER ERRATIC MOVEMENT FUEL GAUGE DOES NOT GO TO FULL AFTER FILLING ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAUGE READS HOT AND COOLANT TEMPERATURE LIGHT ILLUMINATES. *EH
You're all over these today Randy!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, It was my fault in connecting the two items,(Dex-Cool & Temp spike). My Bad. I will call my dealer about instrument panel...........Bob
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your sentiment, it really scared me when I came across Dex-Cool's recent history and the fact that GM is standing firm behind this product doesn't sit well with me. I did contact my long-time independant mechanic, Carolina Imports, Craig races corvettes and he has also heard of the horror stories but he uses Dex-Cool in his vette, but he added that he drains & breaks down his engine a lot more than the average street car so he suggested and, you might want to check this out also, to switch to Peak Global coolant which is designed for aluminum block engines. Anyway he said I should sleep better at nights.............Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in