Differential Oil - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Differential Oil

Hey everyone, I am experiencing the very familiar "diff whine" on my 05 GTO with 16k mile on it. Obviously it's out of warranty and I would like to ask a couple questions. I don't want to belabor an already very old topic so I'll try to keep this brief and too the point.

I read the thread about the differential making noise and the "fix" being to change the oil at regular intervals.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f3/growling-...ng-rear-14102/

My questions:
1. What oil has proven to be the best performer?
2. Should I add a friction modifier?

I know this issue has been covered over and over and over again, but many of the treads were very old; around the time the cars were new.

Has there been any known cases of differential failure under normal driving conditions (not beating on the car)? And if so, has this proven to be an expensive fix?

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
If it breaks finding a used one is the best option money-wise. Oil changes are a good idea but having it completely stop the whine is unlikely. FWIW it can have gear whine forever and not break. The best fluid IMHO is Torco RGO 85w-140 with 2 oz. type "F" friction modifier. DO NOT USE the Type "G" which is the normal for GM cars. Ours are different. The purpose of the friction modifier is to provide a controlled slip for the cones that act as our posi. Without modifier the rear end will pop and make noises when turning corners as the cones grab and break loose. The fussy "best" way is to put in fluid, add about 1 1/2 oz modifier, drive a while to mix and then do slow, hard turns in both directions and listen for popping. If it's fine you're done. If it still pops and clicks add a little more and repeat driving and then slow turns. You want just enough to make the cones barely slip without popping. Too much modifier can cause one wheel burn-outs. I've seen posts where people say to add more modifier to stop whine. Those posts are wrong. It does nothing for that, it is for controlled slippage with the proper amount.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Old 07-16-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
The best fluid IMHO is Torco RGO 85w-140 with 2 oz. type "F" friction modifier.
^+1
Torco by far works the best with the GTO rear ends. I tried Royal Purple, clunked worse than ever. Switched to Torco RGO, clunking from the rear end gone!

Some other posts and forums may say you don't need the friction modifier with the Torco RGO. Don't listen to them. Add the 2 ounces of Torco Type F friction modifier with the RGO differential fluid.

Edit: free advice - Torco RGO does not come with the convenient poor spout on the the bottle like Royal Purple has. I ended up pooring the RGO fluid into my empty Royal Purple differential fluid bottles, and put it in the differential that way. RGO is extremely thick, and it is hard to poor through a funnel into the differential.

Mark - Plainfield, IL http://markquitterracing.com

2004 GTO A4 - LS1
Competition Cam
JBA LTH
K&N CAI
Yank 3600 Stall Speed
Flow Master exhaust
Dyno Tuned
Whiteline Suspension upgrades
B&G Lowering springs

Last edited by Badkat; 07-16-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information guys, I'm glad I asked. This weekend I'll get some Torco and some type f friction modifier and get it changed. Thanks again!!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfastrnu2 View Post
Thank you for the information guys, I'm glad I asked. This weekend I'll get some Torco and some type f friction modifier and get it changed. Thanks again!!
No problem at all. Got questions, just ask. I did many of times and this forum has always pulled through.

Just make sure you drive the car for 10 or 15 minutes to get the rear end fluid hot before you change it. You want to to get as much as the old crap out as possible. Let us know how it worked.

2004 GTO A4 - LS1
Competition Cam
JBA LTH
K&N CAI
Yank 3600 Stall Speed
Flow Master exhaust
Dyno Tuned
B&G Lowering springs
Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkat View Post
No problem at all. Got questions, just ask. I did many of times and this forum has always pulled through.

Just make sure you drive the car for 10 or 15 minutes to get the rear end fluid hot before you change it. You want to to get as much as the old crap out as possible. Let us know how it worked.
Alright, I'll be sure to do that. Again, thank you.
The noise bugs me but I guess I'll get used to it, as long as it doesn't come apart, that's my main concern. The dang things only got 16k miles on it!

Last question just so I have this right. It takes two quarts of 85w140 and 2oz of Type "F" friction modifier, correct? Just making sure since I have to order it from Torco and want to get enough for a couple changes.

Last edited by imfastrnu2; 07-17-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:55 PM

Garage
Yep, that is correct. Its actually like 1.7-1.8 quarts.......but yes, you need 2 quarts to do the change. You fill the rear end until it starts to pour out of the fill hole. Once it starts to pour or drip out the fill hole, your done. Put the 2 ounces of friction modifier in first.

BTW, the recommended 2 ounces does not have to be exact. If you put a little more in so be it. I think the Torco Type F FM comes in a 5 ounce bottle, i put half in mine, just like i'm sure everyone else did who did the Torco gear oil switch. lol

2004 GTO A4 - LS1
Competition Cam
JBA LTH
K&N CAI
Yank 3600 Stall Speed
Flow Master exhaust
Dyno Tuned
B&G Lowering springs
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkat View Post
Yep, that is correct. Its actually like 1.7-1.8 quarts.......but yes, you need 2 quarts to do the change. You fill the rear end until it starts to pour out of the fill hole. Once it starts to pour or drip out the fill hole, your done. Put the 2 ounces of friction modifier in first.

BTW, the recommended 2 ounces does not have to be exact. If you put a little more in so be it. I think the Torco Type F FM comes in a 5 ounce bottle, i put half in mine, just like i'm sure everyone else did who did the Torco gear oil switch. lol
It does make a difference for the reasons I stated. Friction "modifier" makes it more slippery so the cones, which act like clutches, slightly slip when needed. You don't want too much slip or you'll get one wheel peel-outs. You want just enough to make it smooth.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Just to be safe I'll put in just two ounces and no more. Much appreciated fellas.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:42 AM

Garage
svede has spoken. If he says be exact, BE EXACT.

And no, I'm not changing mine again for the possibility I put 3 ounces in instead of 2, lol.

2004 GTO A4 - LS1
Competition Cam
JBA LTH
K&N CAI
Yank 3600 Stall Speed
Flow Master exhaust
Dyno Tuned
B&G Lowering springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in