Disable Third Brake Light - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Disable Third Brake Light

OK - I know... These cars really have 4 brake lights. I'm talking about the light in the rear window, not the light in the wing.

When I back out of the driveway at night, the light in the rear window bounces off the spoiler, making it tough to see anything.

Has anyone unhooked this? At first glance, I wasn't able to find the connector for the light. Just thought I would ask you guys and see if anyone else has done this.

Thanks.
BOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 PM

Hey, yes I have done this. Its really easy,,, I hated the way the one in the back window reflected of my tint, so I unplugged it. Its really that easy. You just use your fingers and pry the front (closest to the seats) upward until it releases the clips, then pull it torwards you and that releases the ones closes to the glass. The plug is directly underneath the light assembly. Once I unplugged mine I did a test run and made sure my cruise control still worked and it did.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast response. I just unhooked it, and the problem's solved. The only casualty was one pop-tab that broke off. (good thing there's 2 of them)

Now, what's the deal about cruise control? And why would unhooking the light have anything to do with that?

BOB

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS
Now, what's the deal about cruise control? And why would unhooking the light have anything to do with that?

BOB
The cruise control is deactivated when the brake (or clutch) pedal is depressed. I don't think it uses the brake lights, but rather a switch at the brake pedal - possibly the same one that activates the lights when the brake is applied.

I don't have a service manual but I suppose the electrical schematics for this car could easily fill 100 pages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in