Do I need a NEW CLUTCH ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I need a NEW CLUTCH ?

Reason I ask is while the car is not running you can go thru the gears w/o using clutch, also while driving you can shift with no use of the clutch and sometimes after diving for a while you can't get the car to go into gear. Then when I return home the car has a burnt odor coming from that area. I've also had the car in the shop for tranny problems where the dealer did everything but replace the tranny. Any thought's or similar problem's ?

Last edited by Dragon 32; 01-29-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM

lol I'm no expert...but that sounds pretty freakin bad
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, Guess what ? I just picked it up from the Dealer and they said Clutch and Tranny were fine no Problem's Found. Go figure that one.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 32 View Post
Reason I ask is while the car is not running you can go thru the gears w/o using clutch, also while driving you can shift with no use of the clutch and sometimes after diving for a while you can't get the car to go into gear. Then when I return home the car has a burnt odor coming from that area. I've also had the car in the shop for tranny problems where the dealer did everything but replace the tranny. Any thought's or similar problem's ?
Here's my take:

Shifting with no clutch when not running: That's OK. I've rowed through the gears in a bunch of cars when they're parked. Usually have to push the pedal once to get things going, but once every blue moon you're able to do it without.

Shifting with no clutch when running, unable to shift after a while and a clutch/maybe oil smell with use: That's bad -- and indicative, to me, of a clutch that isn't fully disengaging even though the pedal has been released. Throwout bearing or sticky linkage are possible causes. What's happening is the clutch is still partially engaged, so you're essentially speed shifting at all times (which is what old school drag racers do for best ET -- they just tap the clutch while throwing the shifter). After a while -- everything heats up and starts to stink from the heat.

Definitely have the dealer look at it. Since your transmission is going to need a lot of work, and the clutch they did last time didn't solve the problem, I'd push for them to put a completely new transmission in.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Well, Guess what ? I just picked it up from the Dealer and they said Clutch and Tranny were fine no Problem's Found. Go figure that one.
You've got to be kidding. Oh, man. Sounds to me like they didn't road test it long enough to duplicate the problem.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

It's getting hard to find GM dealer's in my area worth a sh*t. That's ok, next time it starts acting up on me, I'm going straight to the dealer and tell the Tech to get in... My main reason for the dealer inspect was to check the clutch, which isn't even covered under warranty, it falls under the same category as brakes. And I told them if it needed a new clutch I was willing to put a new LS 7 or Spec 2 Clutch in it. And have them perform all the work. Now if it had been the Tranny the warranty would have kicked in. But none of that matter's now that I'm having an ATI Procharger installed. Got the best deal in North America. Where you ask ? http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....=item&inmake=0 Ask for David.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My main reason for the dealer inspect was to check the clutch, which isn't even covered under warranty, it falls under the same category as brakes.

BULL.. FU*%#N..$hit....who told you this?????? A clutch IS NOT a normal wear item like the brakes. It's part of of the transmission..... You got a 36 month 30K warranty. Don't let them pull that bull$hit on you.

Be prepared to go above them.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post

BULL.. FU*%#N..$hit....who told you this?????? A clutch IS NOT a normal wear item like the brakes. It's part of of the transmission..... You got a 36 month 30K warranty. Don't let them pull that bull$hit on you.

Be prepared to go above them.
You may or may not be covered by warranty on the clutch. Clutch linings, like brakes and tires and several other items are listed under the Maintenance section of the warranty. If the repair or replacement is due to a manufacturing defect then it is warrantied. Now if the dealer determines that the clutch is gone due to not getting it adjusted when adjustment was called for or if the clutch needs repair from obvious driving abuse then it is not covered. For example if a GTO with only 5000 miles comes in for repair with a slipping clutch and nearly slick rear tires, I would hazard a guess that unless the dealer is a generous soul, the owner would have to eat the repairs.

Here's what is listed verbatim under the Maintenance Section: "All vehicles require periodic maintenance. Maintenance services, such as those detailed in the owner's manual are at the owner's expense. Vehicle lubrication, cleaning, or polishing are not covered. Failure of or damage to components requiring replacement or repair due to vehicle use, wear, exposure, or lack of maintenance is not covered."

"Items such as: Filters, Brake Pads/Linings, Clutch Linings, Keyless Entry Batteries, Audio System Cleaning, Coolants and Fluids, Wiper Inserts, Limited Slip Rear Axle Service, Tire Rotation, Wheel Alignment/Balance are covered only when replacement or repair is the result of a defect in material or workmanship." It went on to say that wheel alignment and balance are normal owner maintenance items after 7500 miles."

Most dealerships tend to lean over backward to help the customer with warranty work. Some are A**H**les and won't help. Here's hoping you have the former. -Jim
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

My GTO has 25,600 miles...........
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I just got off the phone with my service adviser. I asked him...... "Is there any part of the clutch / transmission that is not covered under warranty?" His response was "NO, it's all covered." I then specifically asked... What about the clutch and the clutch linings, is the clutch linings and everything else covered? I was told, everything is covered under warranty, as long as we don't see any signs of abuse. I asked, your sure about this right... everything is covered unless it's been abused? Again he said yep, it's covered.

Take your car to the dealer and have them drive it, and have them tell you it's not covered, go above them and seek satisfaction.

Make damn sure you are confident it wasn't abused.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in