User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to sleepindirty
Does my A/C need service?

when I first bought the car a few months ago the AC always seemed to blow icy cold, now not so much.
i live in north Texas, and i know that when the heat lays in, the auto a/c in most cars fall apart.
but here are the facts!
when it gets 90 plus outside my ac doesn’t do much past jack. if i stay on the freeway and the rpm's stay in the 2kish range it cools, not great but livable.
if im on back streets, red lights, or getting on it, it blows hot air.
i brought it ot a local garage and he hooked up his gages to it and imeadetly told me that it has a good charge on it. he had me sit in the car and put 1200 rpm on the motor and let it go back to idle .. he then asked me to do it again and hold it there for a min. we let the car sit at idle for a bit ... then he had me go to 1200 again and we sat there for probably 1.5 mins.
he tells me that there is a problem and he thinks its the compressor (says at 1200 rps its not pulling down?) but he wants me to leave the car with him for a few days while he makes some calls.. (my first warning sign). i told him that isn’t a problem that i have a warranty on the car and any sae mechanic can do the repairs. he tell me that he isn’t sae certified.. if im looking for warranty work ide have to take it to a place down the street (cool air) and they can do warranty work. i go there and they will look at the car and tell me if something is wrong .. but it will be a 40 dollar fee for the check up. this seems absurd to me.. if something is wrong they can fix it and make some money .. but making me pay to find out if there is a problem seems crazy

what do you guys think. should i just pony up the 40 bucks? or is this normal for our cars A/C?

oh ya .. i want to get this fixed before we go to kansas for the GTO convention... dont think i can stand to drive from texas to kansas with a petering A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM

My A/C is too cold - no matter what I'm doing or how hot it is. It can be 90+ out and I can never leave it on full cold 'blue area'. I've heard a lot of people complain that their A/C is not cold enough, so it seems to be hit or miss with the GTO.

I know a lot of places are doing this diagnostic fee crap now, but screw that.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
My AC works fine. You must have an aftermarket warranty? My GMPP covers the AC compressor.
He must have it a few days while he makes some calls? Who's he going to call and it will take days to do it?

I know a lot of guys shy away from the dealer's service many view them as evil and gouging. Many have had bad experiences with them and they have their reasons for not patronizing them (understandable). I know in my area many shops labor charges are close to the same as what dealers charge for service. Many, MANY years ago service charges at a dealer were MUCH higher than those of a corner shop.

My point... for about the same or a few dollars more and if you've had no reason to not go to a Pontiac service center, i.e. they are nitwits....why not let check into it? Whats the price tag on aggravation?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:47 PM

You say when you first got the car the AC was ice cold, and now it's not. That right there is an indication that there is a problem. I would pay the $40 to find out what's wrong if you really want to use your AC. My guess is that the first guy was right, and your compressor is going. Assuming he was right about it being fully charged that is. Is the compressor engaged when it's blowing warm air?

2004 Yellow Jacket M6
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
My AC works fine. You must have an aftermarket warranty? My GMPP covers the AC compressor.
He must have it a few days while he makes some calls? Who's he going to call and it will take days to do it?

I know a lot of guys shy away from the dealer's service many view them as evil and gouging. Many have had bad experiences with them and they have their reasons for not patronizing them (understandable). I know in my area many shops labor charges are close to the same as what dealers charge for service. Many, MANY years ago service charges at a dealer were MUCH higher than those of a corner shop.

My point... for about the same or a few dollars more and if you've had no reason to not go to a Pontiac service center, i.e. they are nitwits....why not let check into it? Whats the price tag on aggravation?
i checked with the local dealer... they want 90 bucks to check it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrank View Post
You say when you first got the car the AC was ice cold, and now it's not. That right there is an indication that there is a problem. I would pay the $40 to find out what's wrong if you really want to use your AC. My guess is that the first guy was right, and your compressor is going. Assuming he was right about it being fully charged that is. Is the compressor engaged when it's blowing warm air?

yes it blew ice cold when i first bought it. but day time temps have gone for low 80's to 100F. once the sun goes down the A/C does fine.
im really wondering if the gto had a decent enough A/C to handel the heat. i had a camaro about 10 years ago and it never cooled the car down ... even in the winter. was just wondering if im expecitng to much from a sports car.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If the system is fully charged and the discharge pressure is normal, but the suction pressure is high, (like 45-80 psi), the symptoms you describe could be a faulty refrigerant control valve. It starts out by being intermittent in that sometimes it will cool okay and other times not so much until it will ultimately just blow warm air. It's a $25-$40 part. Changing it involves evacuating the AC system, removing the the rear cover from the compressor, changing the valve, replacing the rear cover, pulling a vacuum on the system and recharging the system. Unless you know how to do this and have the equipment (I do), I'd suggest ponying up the 90 bucks.

EDIT: If I'm right, your Camaro likely had the same problem.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Idling around on a hot day, mine cools, but not great. Keeping the rpms up,
it does great. Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley?

Larry

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindirty View Post
yes it blew ice cold when i first bought it. but day time temps have gone for low 80's to 100F. once the sun goes down the A/C does fine.
im really wondering if the gto had a decent enough A/C to handel the heat. i had a camaro about 10 years ago and it never cooled the car down ... even in the winter. was just wondering if im expecitng to much from a sports car.
We don't get many 100 degree days here, but we did have a few last year. And the AC worked fine on those days. I would say there is nothing wrong with the design of the system.

2004 Yellow Jacket M6
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
90 just to check? The other place wants 40? If you are looking for someone to do it for free you may resign yourself to the fact you'll be without AC.

Diagnostic fee sounds like. It's obvious you have a problem. Your warranty covers this right? But you have to go to a place under their guidelines? You'll have a deductible right? Whatever the fee is to fix this the 40.00 fee is included. So your gonna pay a deductible. Seems to me that no matter what the bill is you are liable for a deductible. If the bill is say 200 to repair and your deductible is 100 the 40.00 fee is mute, right?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in