Dumb Move...HELP! (electrical) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Dumb Move...HELP! (electrical)

I foolishly reverse wired the battery last night and fried the alternator, possibly the starter and caused who knows how many electrical issues. Just wondering if anyone has made the same dumb move and could assist in diagnosing the problems I caused. my only consolation is none of the fuses blew and the car turned over for me once with working headlights and so on. I'm fairly certain I only killed the charging system but am convinced it created a short somewhere in the wiring because the headlights failed to work about 15 minutes after turning over the engine (whereas they burned bright after turning the car off). The battery still has 12 volts (checked with a multimeter) but I have no power throughout the car. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would first check all the fuses under the hood and in the car. (the knee bolster under the steering column) Hope you get it figured out.

05 YellowJacket, A4
Some Bolt-Ons
[email protected] 90.27- 60ft 1.587-Irwindale Hers
[email protected] Infineon Hers
[email protected] Infineon His
[email protected] 90.95mph-60ft 1.621 Irwindale His

Tuned by Btlfed1500 377hp-375tq
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If you've fried the alternator then your just driving around on the battery only. It would only make sense the lights are going to dim as you drive, and then be brighter after the car is turned off.
I would use a voltmeter to the battery and measure the voltage before and after starting, you're looking for a significant increase after starting.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

to Rukee:

I started the car once after doing the damage to (at minimum) the alternator. lights worked then and after turning off the car. then let the car sit about 15 minutes and tried again. starter fluttered (click click click) and after that, lost all power. headlight's don't work at all, no dash warning lights...nothing. Checked the battery with a multimeter and I have voltage. Brought it to the local auto shop and it's at a 95% charge. so there's power in the battery that was able to run through the ignition/charging system...but with no blown fuses i'm not sure what to think. couldn't have grounded without a blown fuse.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM

look at your main big fuses. there should be one that says "MAIN" power fuse. check that first. probaly is your culprit
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

::: UPDATE ::: new electrical gremlin

::: UPDATE :::

I replaced the alternator tonight which has raised a new issue. After connecting the battery (correctly!) I tried my lights which worked along with the dash oil pressure and alternator warning lights. Everything was fine until I turned the key at which point the car lost all power once again. I disconnected and re-connected the battery and immediately had lights back. My only thought is there is a short in the starter solenoid. Once again, no blown fuses...anyone have any other suggestions?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 AM

Have you checked your main fuse yet? Pull every fuse in the panels both below the knee bolster and under the hood, you may have quite a few blown, especially under the hood. I am not sure if they use fusible links anymore, but that is what they used years ago to prevent damage like this. If so they will need replaced,and are normally in the power wires at the starter, maybe explaining the starter trouble. Starters are pretty tough, should be fine unless you left it hooked up for a while backwards.

Vice President
Susquehanna Valley GTOs
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

it's a 1968, to my knowledge there are no fuses under the hood, just the panel against the firewall on the drivers side. As I mentioned before, there are no blown fuses. What's this "fusible link" you're talking about?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The fusible link is on the positive battery cable connected to and coming from the starter main battery wire. It looks just like a regular wire, but it has a fuse inside of the jacket. If the 'fuse' burns, you may or may not see the rubber jacket burned. There are two smaller wires coming from the starter, it should be the red or 'not the purple' wire (which turns the starter 'on' with the key) coming from the starter. Best to use a test light at the main solenoid connection and then about 6" up that smaller wire attached there. If the fusible link is blown, you'll have no voltage up that second smaller wire coming back up that tube with the battery wire. Check for battery voltage when the lights go off, check the ground for a good ground at the motor and at the core support also when the lights are off. Clean the cable ends at the battery.

Last edited by Rukee; 12-04-2008 at 08:17 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so now that I know what the fusible link is I'm fairly confident it can be ruled out. If it were burnt out I wouldn't have a closed circuit, but my multimeter prooves I do. Also, I was able to successfully start the car once after toasting the alternator. If the fusibile link provides power to the starter, and it worked at that point in time...and works now to at least activate the solenoid, it's can't be an incomplete circuit. This all goes out the window if reversing the battery created a short somewhere in the system...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in