Engine light issues - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine light issues

In the '05 GTO, has anyone had issues with the engine light going on and the car dropping into "Safe Mode"? I can fix it by simply removing and replacing the gas cap, but it keeps cropping up. Any suggessions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM

I don't know what your talking about with "Safe Mode" but, my engine light was staying on in my 04. I took it to the dealer and they had to do a smoke test and then discovered that one of my hoses was a little loose (it wasn't my gas cap but, it was being set-off by that hose). You may have to have this done but, they have to keep your car over night because the engine has to be cooled all the way down.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM

only get a light when i run race gas. goes away about half way through the next tank.

you think you got tire hop problem now, try the race gas.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 02:31 PM

I have the same problem with the 'safe mode' to to dealership have had it for a week waiting on a sensor for the throttle. They are telling me 6-8 to get the part from Australia
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:11 PM

My 05 has this issue, my dealer informed me, it would be a recall issue that a defective pedal sensor is to blame. to maintain problem, Turn off ignition,take key out ,wait 30 seconds and refire. Informed about a lengthy wait as well
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:29 PM

I had the EXACT same thing happen to my 05 Goat - engine light followed by Safe Mode.

The "Engine light" is not really what you would think. All it does is monitor emissions control computers and sensors. The gap cap being loose will "trip" the emmissions controls system. It's documented fairly well in the manual (although it says nothing about the "safe mode" I witnessed).

As far as you "fixing" it by replacing the gas cap, this may or may not be what's stopping it. For me (it's only happened once - when my dad drove it and tried to take off with the parking brake still engaged - he stalled it), turning the car off for a couple of minutes fixed the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in