Engine oil change intervals - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine oil change intervals

Well, I've picked over the book, and from what I can tell by GM standards I have to replace my engine oil when the light comes on or once a year. As I'm sure most of you do, I'd prefer to stick to a more routine schedule, and was wondering what others do.

I've always subscribed to the idea that in some cases a change at every 3k is required, but for a lot of cars that can be extended. In my case, my Goat has been driven all highway and a little light city traffic, and I expect that to be the same the entire time I own it. There's not a ton of dust in my area, and other than the last couple days, the heat is usually not excessive. (St. Louis area) I've also decided to run Amsoil.

Given those conditions, I have no problem with changes every 5k. I'm currently at about 7,200, and the first oil change was at about 3,200. The Mobile One the dealer installed is still as clean and clear on the dipstick as it has the entire time I've owned it, and if I've burned any in that 4k, it can't be more than a 1/4 quart or so.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 AM

I use Mobil1 and K&N oil filters, and typically change my oil every 7500-8000 miles.

The "every 3000 miles" paradigm is long outdated. If you do it that often you're just throwing money away...but whatever.

At that rate I'd be changing my oil every 2-1/2 weeks.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I too use Mobil 1 and K&N... I change at 5K and rotate the tires at the same time. I do both town and highway driving. I suppose if I were only doing all highway / turnpike driving I'd go a little longer, but 5K is my interval.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:27 PM

Oil Change

Advice: Don't tell me some thing bad!
1st change at 500 miles: use Mobil1& K/N
I am changing it tomorrow at 3300 miles, and it's dirty?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 PM

With my GP, the oil life is determined by temperatures and RPMs (may be some other factors as well). Pretty good way to gauge the life of oil. Certainly much better then an arbitrary number like mileage. I'm guessing all GM oil life meters are calculated the same way.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo282
It ought to be dirty, you put just about 3k on it. Where you drive it will effect the amount of contaminates in the oil. You may think you are getting no dirt in the oil but it finds it's way in there. You're ok.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM

My opinion only......change your oil as often as your cashflow allows......All of my vehicles....38 Scarab included get Mobil 1. I have used Mobil 1 on all my engines and will continue to use it. I have a 98 Ranger that I use for towing at the boatramp w/77K on it and the leak down is way below the average. Mobil 1 should be sending me money.....Yeah....in my dreams....

THIS SITE ROCKS.....IN A SAMMY HAGAR SORT OF WAY......PEACE OUT......GPR1200R
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:03 PM

seriously, with synthetic...........as long as it is no more than 10,000, your fine. especially if you don't beat on it with high rpm and high temps. i had a 95 5.0 that i bought new and used syn the whole life and chamnged the oil every 10,000 and when i took it apart to build a blower motor out of it, it looked like it was new. no wear, no sludge, nothing. i could even see the original factory cross-hatching on the cylinder bores. it was amazing.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo282
Like GTO Judge said...I wouldn't worry about it. When I went out to take the picture below, I realized that the oil IS dirty, so my statement about it being as clean and clear as it was when changed was an incorrect statement. I should have said something like "pretty darn good" or "pretty darn clean".

Here's the picture I took. It's not the best, but its the best I could do in this heat. I probably sweat out a gallon just takin' this picture

This oil has over 4k on it now.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
I use Mobil1 and K&N oil filters, and typically change my oil every 7500-8000 miles.

The "every 3000 miles" paradigm is long outdated. If you do it that often you're just throwing money away...but whatever.

At that rate I'd be changing my oil every 2-1/2 weeks.
Well, just bear with this old-timer. Some habbits are hard to break. I guess I shouldn't find it shocking that the dealer recommended 3k intervals...they do need to make money. I've got something like 180k or so on my Bonnie, drove the piss out of it, changed the oil every 4-5k, and it still runs like a champ...with conventional oil.

Perhaps I'm trowing money away using Amsoil too??? My initial instinct was that I want the best for the car, but maybe that is an over-reaction for someone who's not going to abuse the car or drive in extreme conditions.

How often did you rotate & balance? You seem to be the mileage king around here.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in