User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
faulty battery?

greetings fellow goat owners.

I just picked up my 06 torrid red goat on thursday and so far i must say it has been quite a bit of fun. Unfortunately, something is wrong with the battery. Yesterday morning after it sat overnight it hesitated starting up but then it did after a second try. And after about 6 or so hours of not driving it i went to crank it up and got hardly anything, I had to jump it. Then this morning I went to start it and got absolutely nothing, except accessories and music, but not engine start. So right now she's sitting on a 12v high charge for a while before I go out. If it sits off for a few minutes after driving it will start fine which makes sense. But overnight it just seems to have some parasitic loss. Anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Go to your PONTIAC dealer and get another one under warranty. If you purchased the GTO from a NON Pontiac Dealer and you are less than 36K you have a factory warranty. Get registered under a Pontiac dealer. DO NOT let the dealer you purchased it from do it for you. You should be covered.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Get a different battery!!

GM Batteries are by far one of the worst OEM batteries out there and notorious for leaving you stranded. Switch it to a Optima, or Duralast Gel-cell battery. If you get another Stock battery now, you'll just be replacing it again later.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrx View Post
GM Batteries are by far one of the worst OEM batteries out there and notorious for leaving you stranded. Switch it to a Optima, or Duralast Gel-cell battery. If you get another Stock battery now, you'll just be replacing it again later.
that's interesting you say that. I went to autozone and they wanted to sell me an optima battery but it is 200 bucks. I told them thanks but no thanks. Im going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my insurance card so while Im there I guess I'll have them check it out. if they test it though it will register a good charge because i drove it there. should i cash in and buy the optima?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Go to your PONTIAC dealer and get another one under warranty. If you purchased the GTO from a NON Pontiac Dealer and you are less than 36K you have a factory warranty. Get registered under a Pontiac dealer. DO NOT let the dealer you purchased it from do it for you. You should be covered.
it was purchased from a pontiac, buick, chevrolet, chrysler dealership but I am good friends with the dealer's son who works there also.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:07 PM

You won't feel a difference between the Duralast brand, or Optima, other than the sting in your wallet. As long as they are Gel-Cell, Deep-cycle batteries, the difference is negligable and more dependent on your maintenance and driving than the battery itself.

I did Car Audio/performance for 9 years, and have always had issues with GM's batteries. Sold Optima's and SVR batteries by the boatload to frustrated customers, sick of dealing with a 90 year old Acid/lead core battery design.

Sears, Autozone, Pep-Boys, as well as a slew of other vendors will be able to get you a great battery. Now if it's like $60.... I'd say you're just wasting your money, but a good battery will be $90-130.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The alternator needs to be tested as well to be sure it`s actually charging the battery or causing the drain on it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
The alternator needs to be tested as well to be sure it`s actually charging the battery or causing the drain on it.
I don't believe it's his alternator, as he states that it's fine when he drives for a little. Only when resting, but it's a good idea to test it. All you need is a multimeter.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrx View Post
I don't believe it's his alternator, as he states that it's fine when he drives for a little. Only when resting, but it's a good idea to test it. All you need is a multimeter.
A multimeter will test voltage output, but will not check for the alternator causing a drain on the battery when the car is shut off. You could try to remove the battery cable after running it for a while and then let it sit the couple hours. Reconnect the cable if it starts then it`s something on the car, if it still doesn`t start then for sure it`s the battery.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Granted the factory installed Delco's aren't the best but there top of the line is right up there. That will be my future battery.
ACDelco Professional 6YR and 7YR Batteries: Best Free Replacement Limited* Warranty in the Industry | ACDelco News | ACDelco

Personally I paid for a warranty and I'll use it. If you don't mind paying for a warranted part then do what you feel is best. IMO I'd get it replaced and worry about paying 200 for another one some 3 years or so.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in