First.......Second.......Thir-wait, that's 1st! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First.......Second.......Thir-wait, that's 1st!

After 2100 miles, I've had this happen 3 times. During spirited driving, going from 2nd to 3rd, I have gotten 1st instead. Looks like I'll be getting rid of the stock shifter, befor I ruin the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 AM

I've had that happen once. Good thing it was a 2-3 shift and not a 4-3 downshift to jump on it from a roll.

Considering a new shift rig, but seem to have gotten used to it.

ShadesOfGrey
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM

I had that problem as well...except I'd go from4th to second.
1 cheap mod is the skip shift eliminator....like $20
I have a predator hand held tuner that took care of the problem for me....the tranny shifts completely different now and I never miss a shift.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:21 PM

I juest installed a B&M shifter and I love it. I never caught first when reaching for third, but I did once grab second instead of fourth . . .locked up the rear tires at about 85 whlie messing with a supercharged monte carlo. - Don't know if I was more scared or imbarrassed. Nearly soiled myself.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkRed05GTO
I juest installed a B&M shifter and I love it. I never caught first when reaching for third, but I did once grab second instead of fourth . . .locked up the rear tires at about 85 whlie messing with a supercharged monte carlo. - Don't know if I was more scared or imbarrassed. Nearly soiled myself.
same here on second instead of 4th.. couple of times.. little slower.. it sure do stop the goat pretty quick, the worse time was side by side playing with a vette with an 04 goat on my rear....

scared/embarrassed and i had to check my pants also
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:34 PM

For me it's the 5-3 shift. Sometimes it seems like it just doesn't want to go into 3rd. It can be a real problem when you're going into a fast turn. Ah, but when it does, and you've got some hotshot in a BMW that you smoke with their wife/girlfriend in the car...it's all worthwhile...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkRed05GTO
Ditto that for me on the 3-4 oops that's second. I have a B&M and that is when the 3-4 nope 2nd stuff started happening. It hasn't happened for a while though. Before I got the shifter I would go 2-3 and hit a gate. The 5-4 before I got the shifter was a bad one too, usually ended at a gate.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 PM

I had the unfortunate pleasure of doing a third to fourth, but hit second, shift around a slight curve (B&M). It kicked the rear of the car loose and we ended up going in the ditch backwards at 80MPH. ...and this when the car was only 4 days old! I have 18" factory wheels/tires, and it was a little wet out that day. The factory 18" tires suck on wet roads! The car ended up with $4k in damage. Oh well, life goes on.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:52 PM

Yeah, I did the good ol' 1-2-3-2 a couple of times. Once passing on a 2 lane road and another time going around someone doing 65 in the passing lane on the interstate (that **** irritates me). I ALMOST did it again the other day, but I caught it before I let the clutch back out. It only happens when I am irritated at someone/something. I guess that is the GTO's way of telling me to calm my ass down!! I am glad to see some other people have done this. A friend of mine did it in his Camaro SS and ended up with 5 bent pushrods. Since then EVERY little tick in the motor has me terrified.

As for the stock shifter, I have gotten used to it as well. I never miss 3rd anymore and when if I am racing, I hit 4th everytime and chirp it most of the time (depending on the surface/conditions). I am worried that when I do get a shifter I'll have to relearn it. Then I also worry about more common 3-2 shifts... I SERIOUSLY don't need anymore of those.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 PM

Flip over hand, thumb down. I found this biases my shfts to the right, avoiding the dreaded1-2-3-2 thrill. Did my rev test toying with a C-5...thank gawd I was shifting a little short and wasn't totally wound...

BTW First post here. Names Bill, got a bad car habit. Bikes too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in