User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flywheel issue??

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting on this forum as I am attempting to purchase my first GTO. I have had numerous amounts of sports cars including Z28s and Trans Ams in my younger days, and a C5 vette (sadly missed) in more recent years.

Here is the deal. I have practically purchased an 05 GTO with a little under 30K sight unseen. The owner is very particular and through speaking with him, it seems that the car has been well taken care of. He is the 2nd owner and has put approximately 10K on the car. During our phone conversations, he has been very open about absolutely every detail. One detail that I found strange was that the car has a brand new clutch at 30K. Here is the story: He bought the car from an engineer who actually designed a component of the rear end for the car. He then bought the car and had absolutely zero issues with the car. After about a year of owning it he noticed that it was becoming harder and harder to put into gear. Scared that the clutch would eventually completely wear out, he took the vehicle to the dealership to be fixed under warranty, of course. The dealership told him that he had a faulty flywheel (which he has the parts to prove, which I have not seen) that was causing the clutch to abnormally wear. Under warranty, the dealership replaced the flywheel but refused to pay for the clutch as it is deemed a "wearing" item. He then paid out of pocket to replace the clutch and then ordered the dealership to complete a "tune" of the entire car. I immediately began to look for recalls on the flywheel and I have yet to find any for the 05. I was wondering if the flywheel has been a known problem and if this story seems likely. He says that this was the only problem he has ever had with the car and that he had it completely taken care of at the dealership, just like every single other service item of the cars history because he wanted to make sure that the new owner of the car could purchase the extended warranty if so desired. I really want to believe the guy because the car is great and its a decent deal. After discovering all the issues that have been posted on here about GTOs I am wondering if I should even buy one in the first place (they seem very problematic). Please advise with any knowledge about known problems with clutch, flywheel, transmission, or if you think it has just been beat. I really dont believe that to be the case based on our conversations. He does have every receipt of every service including the clutch and flywheel replacement and the oil changes. He also gave me permission to contact the only dealership the car has even been to for verification of the work.

Hopefully I will purchase the car depending on what you guys think and I will have the opportunity to port more often!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums!
If you like the car I would not let this stand in the way of you buying it.
The GTO`s did have a problem with the clutch master/slave cyls and the fluid it uses. Some have experienced like some gunk in the reservoir along with difficulty in shifting or getting it into gear. Usually just a swap of the fluid will resolve the issue, but in this case it sounds like they did the whole clutch replacment, which should be good for you.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:51 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Rukee put in the right words.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Welcome to the Herd...06 M6 here, around 17,000 miles and zero issues, not one...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. As I am a little ways from the where the car is being sold from, I contacted the dealership that all the work was done at (under the seller's permission). The service manager told me that the customer had the story backwards, that the clutch was wearing (which is not a warranty item after 12/12) and was replaced at his cost and then after the new clutch was put in (which he had the entire kit put in all OEM parts) the slave master cylinder went bad which was under warranty. The service manager then affirmed that the car has always been very well taken care of and that it always received everything that it has ever needed. He confirmed the particular nature of the owner and that he knows the car was not beat or abused based on the very slow tire wear and other "tell tale signs" of abuse that were not detected.

My question is: The car has had two owners... the 1st owner put 20K on the car and now this guy has had it for a little under 10k of babied miles and it needs a clutch. Does that mean that the car was beat by the 1st owner? Maybe his wife was driving it and didnt know how to drive it? Something just seems kinda fishy about a car needing a clutch at under 30K when nothing caused the clutch to fail besides the driver.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Former Super Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if the bad slave master cyl was the original problem and the clutch was replaced prematurely.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:29 PM

Not to hi-jack the thread, but does the flywheel have to be replaced when the clutch is replaced? I have been reading different threads. When most replaced their clutch, they replaced the flywheel. In older GM cars the flywheel could be resufaced. thanks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeeman350 View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread, but does the flywheel have to be replaced when the clutch is replaced? I have been reading different threads. When most replaced their clutch, they replaced the flywheel. In older GM cars the flywheel could be resufaced. thanks
I think the reason most people replace them on the new GTOs is to go with a lightweight unit to help the motor rev quicker.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
the stock fly can be resurfaced altho most opt to put in a billet instead of putting the nodular stock cast one back in. billets are less prone to blow up. for autocross some put in the lighter fly. for drag racing and just generally getting this heavy pig going i'd say most get the steel. my Spec steel billet is still just a little lighter than stock. to the OP, clutches and rear tires are common things to replace

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Problem issues with the GTO.

1. Suspension. Regardless of who you ask, ALL will agree that the stock suspension is simply put.... GARBAGE. It's a decent street car, handling/comfort balance is well struck for an OEM setup, but premature Shock, mount, and bushing failure could result in expensive fixes further down. FIX: Get a pedders Street II/Track II or equivalent package from Wretched Motorsports for approx $2K(I'm plugging Rob here, as he's a great guy and an asset to this forum). He does offer a GTO specific Problem Package that replaces all the OEM parts that most commonly break down. I think that package is just under a grand.

2. Tranny. Numerous members (including myself) have had rear end/tranny failures. The problem will arise early on, before you hit the 36K mark, and will start off as a whine. From what I'm gathering, the problem seems to be that the rear end has in certain cases improperly cut gears, that place forward stress on the driveshaft, causing bearing and synchro failure in the M21/T56 tranny. (Someone message me/post why they don't call the M21/T56 the same, or why they're different). FIX: Under warranty, they'll simply replace rear end, as well as tranny. Another route is to get a different gear set for the rear, relieving the stress of on the shaft, and netting some performance benefits.

3. Belt/Tensioner. A common problem for ALL LSx Engines, and GM in general. Premature tensioner failure ($80) will result on belt damage and a loud squeaking coming from the engine bay. It'll sound as though you're hiding a 8 foot cricket under your hood. FIX: Dealer rarely questions this problem as it's well known and documented, or if out of warranty, simply replace belt and tensioner.

4. Brakes: Only if you're a track whore... like me... you will find the OEM and most aftermarket pads/rotors to be inadequate. I've yet to find a decent pad that will survive a day at California Speedway in Fontana.... and I've tried many. The rotor temps sky rocket and pan fry anything on the caliper. My last hawk pads had the paint burned off. yes, I said BURNED. lol. 1100 degrees are easily achieved. FIX: Brake Rotor Ducts and strut mounts run approx $400, or don't race. lol.

Other than that, there's nothing but smiles and miles to be had from this car. Now, every car, make, model has it's own issues. GSX Eclipses shredded transfer cases, WRX's had weak 2nd gears and Cylinder 3 failures. Every performance car you look at will come with it's own can of worms, and all problems are amplified by performance vehicles due to the amount of stress and driving conditions placed upon them. No one buys a GTO and putts around in it. That's why they sell Accord's, Camry's and Malibu's. All the GTO pitfalls are known, and preventable. Not to mention, that all are reasonably inexpensive. GTO's, IMHO are THE best full sized 2+2 ever made. Think the 612 or Maserati is faster on a track.... I haven't been passed by one yet, and if you think the GTO has problems, those cars will be a moot point. Let's not even get started on the GTR. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in