Fuel Gauge Error/ABS Fault/Airbag Fault - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Gauge Error/ABS Fault/Airbag Fault

I have a 2004 GTO and I have seen several posts from people on this and various sites about the intermittent issue I am currently having but have seen no actual resolutions. I am currently getting an error reading of Fuel Gauge Error Contact Dealer/ABS Fault/Airbag Fault, traction control disengages and my temp and fuel indicator needles drop to the bottom. I'm sure that it is electrical as all the faults happen at one time and the issue is intermittent. Sometimes they will start as soon as I start the car, other times they will start while I've been driving for awhile, other times they will start but then stop reading them while I'm driving, and other times they won't happen at all. It is really frustrating! I did recently replace the battery which had a loose positive terminal on the batt, but the issue was happening before then which is what prompted me to change it as I thought it was not making a consistent connection and was potentially causing electrical surges. And I have disconnected the new batt several times and let it sit to reboot ECM but that only works for hours. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 PM

I have the EXACT same problem and also need some advice. I recently installed an HID light set before the symptoms started. I used a OBD II scanner to see what error codes were coming up, but somehow none were detected--even while the dash said all of these things had failed. What's going on??
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Some '04s had an issue with the gauge cluster. IIRC GM had an update they could flash in. with their Tech II

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
I should also mention the insulation of the BCM wire bundle can cause a lot of weird things

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
I should also mention the insulation of the BCM wire bundle can cause a lot of weird things
Do you know where the BCM is located? I have heard it was behind the glove box, under the radiator reservoir tank, and my local GM supply shop said it's in the rear, right trunk compartment when I asked about a BCM replacement part...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Some '04s had an issue with the gauge cluster. IIRC GM had an update they could flash in. with their Tech II
^^^I'm not sure what you mean by this?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
It's behind the glove box. Most dealers know next to nothing about these cars.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f3/bcm-wirin...chafing-28977/

The second post references there was a software update for '04 gauge clusters that the dealer could flash in to fix some glitches but I'd do the BCM insulation first and see if that fixes it.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in