Gas Cap when fueling ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gas Cap when fueling ?

Not a major item but has anyone come up with or found a solution to the gas cap storage when you are pumping gas. When I pump gas the gas cap has no place to be stored with the length of the tether - so it just hangs against the paint till I finish . Gotta be a better way.

I finally got the tightening trick/feel down on the attached cap so maybe someone also has this fiqured out ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM

I trapped the cap lanyard next to the fuel door hinge arm with a zip tie. When I fuel up, I slide the zip tie up towards the door, which holds the cap up and out of the way.

Trick.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcommuter
Not a major item but has anyone come up with or found a solution to the gas cap storage when you are pumping gas. When I pump gas the gas cap has no place to be stored with the length of the tether - so it just hangs against the paint till I finish . Gotta be a better way.

I finally got the tightening trick/feel down on the attached cap so maybe someone also has this fiqured out ...
I asked the same question. Got some helpful tips too.

a small cup hook with an adhesive back. Fasten it to the underside of the lid, then loop the gas caps tether to it when refueling..... and

a velcro strip. This is the approach I am using. I found velcro before I found a cup holder hook. I found a piece at a local fabric store. I cut a piece of velco and put a piece on the top of the cap, and the other piece on the arm of the lid. When refueling I stick the gas cap to the lid's arm. Works Great.

I put the loop end on the arm of the lid and the fuzzy side on the top of the gas cap. 34K for a car and the engineers failed to see this small but annoying problem.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I do love cheap solutions to annoying problems...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 07:18 PM

I've got the cheapest. I just curl the cable up around the top of the metal lip where the nozzle goes and the cap sits in the top left corner of the recessed area under the lid. Total cost: $0.00.

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:59 PM

For you lucky new 05 owners, here is how some of the 04 guys maked a hook to hold the gas cap useing an adhesive backed plastic hook.

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 AM

Heck I just put it inside right next to the filler tube. Its a tight fit, and it takes a couple seconds to get it to fit out of the way, but it does fit. Then you don't have to worry about the glue coming undone on the velcro, or little hook. Plus its free!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
For you lucky new 05 owners, here is how some of the 04 guys maked a hook to hold the gas cap useing an adhesive backed plastic hook.

Very clever.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:56 AM

Snip. Snip.

Thats the sound of the cheap teather being cut so I can place the gas cap on top of the gas pump.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 AM

I used Xmans method. Worked great until the plastic hook kept coming off. Now I'm back to Grey Goats method, setting down by the drain hole. There's just enough room to get the fuel nozzle over the tube.

I think I do have more hooks which I may give another shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in