Gas Recommendations - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gas Recommendations

Just picked up my 04 Silver GTO saturday. This board was very helpful before I made my final decision. I decided to lease it since I have some questions about the residual value going forward. But, I will sure enjoy it for the next 3 years. She purrrrrs like a kitten.

Any thoughts on the use of high octane gas (premium) vs the standard 87 octane. It appears premium is not required but recommended. I would think you would have a slight drop off in performance but not noticeable. What is everyone's thoughts on which gas should be used.

What type of mileage is everyone getting? It won't stop me from putting my foot into it but just curious as what can be expected going forward.

Drive em fast and just remember to swerve!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:07 AM

I don't have it with me, but I'm pretty sure the manual says "PREMIUM" and that mid or regular may be used, but not recommended.

I keep the dash display on the MPG setting, and generally get 14+ MPG. Previous tankful went 16.1. Not bad for the stop-and-crawl driving that I do to/from work.

Look at this this way... Generally Premium goes for about a dime more than regular a gallon. That's $1.80 if you fill up the tank from bone dry. Isn't the take off from just one light worth less than 2 bucks?

---Larry
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifucan
Just picked up my 04 Silver GTO saturday. This board was very helpful before I made my final decision. I decided to lease it since I have some questions about the residual value going forward. But, I will sure enjoy it for the next 3 years. She purrrrrs like a kitten.

Any thoughts on the use of high octane gas (premium) vs the standard 87 octane. It appears premium is not required but recommended. I would think you would have a slight drop off in performance but not noticeable. What is everyone's thoughts on which gas should be used.

What type of mileage is everyone getting? It won't stop me from putting my foot into it but just curious as what can be expected going forward.

Drive em fast and just remember to swerve!
You just spent 40k for a fast ass car, and you want to put 87 octane in it? Performance will suffer. If you use 87 octane usually your PCM will pull back timing to reduce pre detonation, in turn giving you car less performance and making it slow. I own an SRT-4 (no hating) and if you put 87 in it, the PCM senses it and starts pulling timing to reduce pre detonation and drops boost by like 5 lbs. for 10 cents more I would just stick with the premium, or you could use middle grade and then add some octane booster. Need to keep up the performance aspect of your car, in case I come up next to you! Good luck!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:55 PM

Agreed, why use 87 octane. If you even open up your door for your gas cap...it's will even say on that "Premium Recommended!"

Give your car what it wants to drink...give it 93
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:22 PM

First, I agree you will lose performance. The performance you will lose is a function of speed and load. Generally speaking, the amount of spark retarded due to a lower grade fuel ( as low as 87 octane ) is very small at part throttle, and increases more significantly as the load increases. Even after the system has "learned down" form the 87 octane, mid-range and normal cruise speeds probably are not effected form reduced spark. However, any time you would "put your boot" into the throttle, with 87 octane you will lose performance. Wide open throttle is already a very low MPG load point so over-all fuel economy, would most likely not be effected, ( or would be effected so little as to be unnoticable) if you drive at a reasonable throttle. But all that being said, even 20 cents a gallon difference in price is only $3.60 a tank !!!!!

And you never know when some PESKY SRT4 might be lurking !!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO TOO
First, I agree you will lose performance. The performance you will lose is a function of speed and load. Generally speaking, the amount of spark retarded due to a lower grade fuel ( as low as 87 octane ) is very small at part throttle, and increases more significantly as the load increases. Even after the system has "learned down" form the 87 octane, mid-range and normal cruise speeds probably are not effected form reduced spark. However, any time you would "put your boot" into the throttle, with 87 octane you will lose performance. Wide open throttle is already a very low MPG load point so over-all fuel economy, would most likely not be effected, ( or would be effected so little as to be unnoticable) if you drive at a reasonable throttle. But all that being said, even 20 cents a gallon difference in price is only $3.60 a tank !!!!!

And you never know when some PESKY SRT4 might be lurking !!!!
EXACTLY! I am very PESKY!!! But I have mad respect for the GTO....be sure if I roll up on ya, you are on 93 octane;0)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:28 PM

So how is the GTO with gas??? With gas prices being ridiculously high, i am curious to know what the mpg the GTO gets. Over here in Los Wages(Las Vegas), gas is going for about 2.00 bucks a gallon.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Mask
So how is the GTO with gas??? With gas prices being ridiculously high, i am curious to know what the mpg the GTO gets. Over here in Los Wages(Las Vegas), gas is going for about 2.00 bucks a gallon.
I get around 15-16MPG doing the stop-and-crawl to/from work, and got 22mpg on about a piece of open expressway the other day. Better than my 4wd Blazer (13mpg), not quite as good as my Grand National (17mpg) in the same drive conditions. Not stellar, but not horrible either - but hey, them 8 cylinders are thirsty!

---Larry
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 04:49 PM

I drive mine 2 times a week on Texas wide open country. At 70-75 I am often getting 27 or 28 miles to the gallon. I average about 21. But I drive on open road alot.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:29 PM

MPG we are getting

We just made a trip from Indy to Milwaukee and doing 72 we were getting 28mpg on flat road (with 6 speed).

In stop and go stuff I shift from 1 to four and then four to six and we typically average about 22 around town.

The car is powerful enough to put into 6th gear at 30mph and don't touch the gas it will stay at 30 unless you hit a hill and the whole time you are getting about 35-37mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in