Gasoline in Oil??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gasoline in Oil???

Upon changing my oil last night, i realized that it had the smell of gasoline in it...it wasnt too overpowering but it was definately there. Is it normal to smell gasoline in the oil or is that bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Good question. I noticed that in my Camaro. I took out the dipstick just to check the level and consistancy since I don't use it often and something made me smell it...and it definitely had an odor of gasoline. The next time the oil is changed we'll see if there is in fact gasoline in there. I have not smelled the GTO oil though.

I don't know how true this is, but a friend of mine told me that it should just burn up while the engine is running and may not cause harm (of course in a limited amount). However, I am at least concerned...they shouldn't be mixing.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? What can cause it and what are the risks?

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Why would the oil smell like gasoline?

If you run the car in cold weather, the fuel mixture is richened to warm engine, excess fuel not burned can get into the oil. Also, if you have a car that starts hard-long cranking or has a misfire; the excess gas that is not burned will get into your oil.

Your engine has been severely flooded or, if your car has a carburator, the float needle seat is shot. Whenever your oil smells like gasoline it's very bad for your engine. Change the oil ASAP.

Your engine maybe tired. you have what is called blow-by. Your piston rings are not sealing on the cylinder wall. If you watch you may be using oil also.

Many things can cause this, some are, from a short driving cycle that doesn't allow the engine to fully warm up, to a faulty fuel pressure regulator, to leaking fuel injector/s or a carburetor float bowl being overfilled, to worn engine parts, like piston rings, valve guides, faulty spark plugs resulting in poor fuel burn ect, ect.

Basically it's gasoline getting from the top of the engine, into the bottom of the engine, where the oil sump is.

Gasoline in the oil isn't good for it, or the engine, as it dilutes the oil & robs it of it's lubricating properties, resulting in accelerated engine wear & bad engine deposits.

Best to change the oil & filter right away, review all the listed ideas & have the most likely checked out by a pro you trust.

If your cars mechanical condition is ok, but your driving cycle is short, after changing the oil & filter, try changing your driving cycle, or by taking your car on a weekly 20 mile interstate round trip, to warm the engine & oil up completely, to evaporate condensation & any gasoline thats found it's way into the crankcase oil sump.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I am not burning oil and I check at every fill up and the level is always the same. Spark plugs and cold whether are the more likely, and more favorable, possibility for me. I may even attribute some of that smell to the Zmax oil additive I put in the car. I did notice a power difference when I switched to RP. I now chirp third and spin second for a longer period of time than I did before. That brings up the issue of finding the right plugs to put in her. I will begin looking into it and smelling my oil more often. Sounds rediculous but its necessary. Ill post anything I come up with
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the wealth of info Judge!

The Camaro I have will be turning 22 years old soon and on the original motor. I don't use it too often and in the winter I just start it up, warm up (carbed) and roll it around the driveway just to get all the fluids moving every couple of weeks or so. I never have to add oil and it doesn't smoke when running (except the first few seconds of start up - typical with these cars). I guess in my case it can be any of the problems that you have mentioned. I can't wait to get the engine and tranny rebuilt with some added goodies to what I already have...but who has money for that She's still running great though which is all I can ask for at this point. Never had a major issue besides typical maintenance and repairs over the years.

Thanks again.

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Went to the dealer today and told them about the problem. My new oil has 700 miles on it and it has the gasoline smell too now. The dealer told me a gasoline smell is normal. I checked the oil on my moms 05 volvo and I could smell gasoline in its oil as well. Im confused now
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If the smell of gas in the oil is normal, then my cars are not functioning properly.

WikiAnswers - Why would the oil smell like gasoline

WikiAnswers - What can cause your engine oil smell slightly like gas

www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 12-26-2008 at 05:08 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The oil smelling like gas is totally normal. Some gas is going to slip pass the piston rings and get into the crankcase. It's nothing to worry about. If you smell it with your mom's car then what does that tell you? It's normal.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
With the exceptions in the Q&A article I don't buy it. It's not normal to have anti-freeze, or ATF mixing in with the oil either. All the articles on this matter I have read state its not normal to have gas mixing in with the oil. I've been changing oil in my cars since 1976 and never have I ever had a gas smell in used oil or a "slick" atop of the oil related to gas.

Maybe someone can produce an article from a reputable source stating gas and oil mixing in the crank case is normal and no harm will result as a result of this?

www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 12-27-2008 at 08:43 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Garage
On cars with mechanical fuel pumps when the diaphrahm goes bad it pumps gas into the oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in