Gauge cluster replaced - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gauge cluster replaced

Ok...I've had this problem for a long time now and finally got it fixed under warranty, or did I...

~Problem~

Randomly, when shifting out of Park or into Park the speedometer jumps to 100mph and it starts beeping loudly.

~Actions~

1. One year ago or longer - dealer could not duplicate problem.

2. August '07 - 5 1/2 hours in the waiting room! Dealer removes cluster, finds defect - will call when part arrives.

3. December '07 - go in for an oil change, inquire about the gauge cluster; PART NEVER ORDERED, whoops - "sorry sir, we have to remove the cluster AGAIN to get the part number off the back of it". Are you kidding me? No part number in the system?!

4. January '08 - drop off the car so they can remove the cluster to get the part number (again). Car gets returned to me; cluster on order arrives in 4 days. I thought this was fishy since I know the parts on this car take forever to locate and receive.

5. This week - Monday - drop car off again in the morning, 8am - I get a call at 11:15am - "Hi sir. Your car is all ready!" I pick up the car around 5:40pm and the odometer has 404 lLESS miles on it! I assumed this meant that the gauge cluster was in fact changed.

6. Today - Shift from Park to Reverse - *BEEEEP BEEEP* 100mph! WTF!!!!!!!

~Questions~

Did I get 2 defective clusters?

Was the cluster NOT even changed?

Is the cluster NOT the real problem?

The sh!t that they put me through - First having me wait over 5 hours in the waiting room to find out there was a defect - Never ordering the part - Making me drop the car off to get the cluster removed a second time to obtain the part number a second time - Bringing the car back again to drop off to replace the cluster - Problem still there -

That's ok, when I bring it in again I'm telling them not only to FIX this problem but to replace my headlight switch because it doesn't light up any more (except for the extreme left portion of the switch) and my PRND321 doesn't light up anymore.

I am reaching the point of insanity. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
take her back to dealer again, or go to another dealership. That sucks.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Devils3023
I see your in NJ, where exactly at? If it's not too far you should bring it to Mcguire Pontiac on route 46 east. That's where I bring my goat and the guys there are great and always take time to bs w/ me about cars and stuff. One mechanic Billy even gave me his number and said to call him if I wanted to get any aftermarket parts installed and he'd do it on the side for cheap. Good luck.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils3023 View Post
I see your in NJ, where exactly at? If it's not too far you should bring it to Mcguire Pontiac on route 46 east. That's where I bring my goat and the guys there are great and always take time to bs w/ me about cars and stuff. One mechanic Billy even gave me his number and said to call him if I wanted to get any aftermarket parts installed and he'd do it on the side for cheap. Good luck.
ill have to remember that one!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Bayonne. I've been to the Green Brook dealer once before somewhat by chance. My friend bought a G6 there and at the same time I left my car there to get a 'clank' fixed on the driver's rear tire when hitting a bump. They found it and fixed it right away...no BS. I was extremely satisfied with them.

So I am definitely considering another dealership (anywhere with a good reputation). The reason I keep going back to the DiFeo Jersey City dealership is its proximity to my home.

If I do go further away, I will wait until the Spring when I take my Camaro back out (and I have more time) and can use that car for however long it takes to fix the GTO. I'm done with this drop off and pick up rental BS.

I have a huge laundry list of maintenance that might as well get done ALL at the same time: brakes all around, oil change, transmission fluid change, fuel injection/induction cleaning, gauges, headlight switch light, PRN321 light, and whatever else I can think of...so I might as well bang that out all at once and go the extra mile to a good service center.

Jon

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Devils3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
ill have to remember that one!
Yeah, just ask for Billy and tell him Dave w/ the black gto sent you to see him about getting some parts installed. Everybody there is great. The service/parts mgr there Brian even found me an oem sap rocker panel when i cracked mine on a curb a few months ago and had it shipped in from a dealer in California.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to JerseyGoat
I used to work at MIller Pontiac in woodbridge. I know all the people that work there. PM me if you want any info. They're a great group of guys
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGoat View Post
I used to work at MIller Pontiac in woodbridge. I know all the people that work there. PM me if you want any info. They're a great group of guys
The funny thing is that I work less then a minute down the road from Miller

Jon

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to wutanga13x
maybe its not a cluster problem??? lol speed sensor? or something???
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to wutanga13x
ps. i want a new cluster.....that way i can sell the car with less miles lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in