Getting the goat race aligned... any tips on what settings? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Getting the goat race aligned... any tips on what settings?

I'm currently preparing my goat for SCCA autocrossing for the upcoming season. In my only experience racing the car last year, I noticed a terrible amount of understeer, which I would like to fix. Using the throttle to try and get the car to turn was worthless, though I decided to just drift the car throughout the entire course on my last run, which happened to be quite entertaining both to me, and the people watching my run!

What do you recommend I do with the Toe/camber settings?

Basically, any help from the suspension gurus out there would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:39 AM

I have Auto-X'd on occasion although I am a Bracket Racer at heart.
That being said (that the advice is coming from a straight line guy) you could start here.

-----

SLP Lowering Springs"
An SLP exclusive, the progressive-rate spring package yields noticeably sharpened handling characteristics without an accompanying degradation in ride quality. Ride height is reduced by one inch, providing both a more aggressive stance and a lower center of gravity. Kit includes two front and two rear springs.

NOTES: This package has been designed to work with STOCK-SIZE wheels and tires (245/45-17 on 17 x 8) and may cause tire-to-body contact if installed on a vehicle with a larger wheel/tire combination. Professional installation and subsequent four-wheel alignment strongly recommended. Camber kit #70027 required to maintain proper rear camber.

SLP Camber kit

"Use this kit with our #70026 GTO Performance Spring Package to maintain proper rear camber. Fully adjustable, it allows you to tailor vehicle camber settings to suit various suspension configurations and performance requirements.
Part Number Item Price
70027 SLP GTO camber kit $159.99

SLP Heavy duty rear swaybar

New from SLP, this heavy-duty rear sway bar is an easy, cost-effective way to improve the traction and handling characteristics of any 2004 GTO. Constructed from 19.05mm (stock is 16mm) cold-drawn steel, it can yield noticeable reductions in both wheel hop and rear body roll during spirited driving. Two end-link mounting points on each side make it possible to preload the rear suspension for improved launches in drag-race applications. Includes low-deflection K-prene bushings.

NOTES: Not compatible with SLP #73005 Rear Sway-Bar Bushings.

Part Number Item Price
73004 SLP GTO Heavy duty rear swaybar $149.99
------------

Taken from the suspension section of this page:

http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/gtointro.html

Last edited by MaxHax; 01-20-2005 at 01:44 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
unfortunately I can't really touch much on the suspension to stay in the stock class. The car must have stock springs I believe, though I can run adjustable struts. (in the coming future, stay tuned.)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 AM

Check here.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/fac...ontiac_GTO.pdf

About half way down it gives the alignment settings for touring, sport, and race set ups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in