Getting into an 04- can it be 05 fast? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting into an 04- can it be 05 fast?

Hey everybody - I'm in the middle of selling a MINI Cooper S right now and I'm thinking about buying an '04 Goat to replace it (anybody want to trade? ) . So, with the money I'm saving not buying the LS2, what kind of power can I expect to make on a short budget? I was thinking headers, cams, intake, but I'm not used to tuning a small block.

Any advice for a newbie? Should I just save for an 05?

Great board- looking forward to arguing with you guys over petty stuff sometime soon

Edit: I'll be taking her to the track, too, so things like brake quality are big factors for me, too. Is there any difference in the suspension? I looked at the brake thread and saw I'm probably going to want an 05 brake system

Last edited by Displacement; 01-07-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:50 PM

If you have to wait go for an '06 model. Doubt there will be any new '05's much longer. Don't buy used, whatever you do........

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
Memphis Speakers, Amp, (2) 10" Subs
Kenwood Flip Screen w/nav, dvd, etc.
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
Tuning by RevExtreme - Sarasota
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
if u buy used u will save lots of $$$ and can put more mods on it to run with the 06 goats. if warnty is not that much of a factor

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Buy a manual transmission car. More usable power. An 04 can be as capable as an 05 if your car is properly tuned and if you know how to handle a manual transmission. Learn to shift gears without removing your foot from the gas pedal under full acceleration. Made the difference in my car from 13.60 to 13.30 1/4 mile. Learn how to launch the car with minimal wheel spin. Worth another few car lengths. No reason a properly tuned and driven 04 6psd should not stand with a stock 05-06 manual/auto or auto. In short, a really good driver and tuned car just about closes the 50hp gap.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C.
Buy a manual transmission car. More usable power. An 04 can be as capable as an 05 if your car is properly tuned and if you know how to handle a manual transmission. Learn to shift gears without removing your foot from the gas pedal under full acceleration. Made the difference in my car from 13.60 to 13.30 1/4 mile. Learn how to launch the car with minimal wheel spin. Worth another few car lengths. No reason a properly tuned and driven 04 6psd should not stand with a stock 05-06 manual/auto or auto. In short, a really good driver and tuned car just about closes the 50hp gap.
true dat
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 04:51 PM

I just bought my 04 a month ago and although my friend has an 05 thats a little faster, i haven't looked back since. Personally i don't mind cause i got mine for $23000 and it was GM certified, so the $10,000 i saved for 50 hp less and and hood and bumper was a simple case of economics to me. You can easily put in just $2500 worth of mods for performance and buy the hood and bumper if you like and still save at least $5000. But its all your preference, some people don't like used cars, but mine came with 10,000 miles so it was barely broken in, i just feel that was just a great find and too good to pass up.

Either way you will be happy with an 04, 05 or 06 model. Its just a matter of how much you are willing to spend up front.

Good Luck
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm buying a manual - there's no debate there. I'm glad to hear there are plenty of mods on the market to improve the car if I choose to do that.

Thanks for the advice guys. Now the question is what's the lowest price I can get on a clean, used manual...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:59 PM

In my area of Los Angeles, The lowest i've seen for an 04 manual was $21,000 with 16,000 miles. For an 05 the lowest i've seen was $26,500 with 500 miles on it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:56 PM

I live near Salt Lake City, Utah. This is the lowest I've seen so far; 2004, Automatic, with only 843 miles on the clock. I know it's an auto, but they only want $19,995.00. Here's the link just giggles: http://www.kslcars.com/VehicleDetail...pe=car#mainpic

I bought mine the last part of November 05. Mine is a 2004, Manual, with 5,800 miles and I paid $21,650.00.

The price is really good in this area for these cars, being rear wheel drive and all.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 08:15 AM

With a cold air intake, full exhaust and a tune from a handheld programmer, you should be well on your way to 400 HP pretty easily.

With only a little more effort (i.e. cam, dyno tune, maybe heads), you can get to 450+ pretty easily.

04 QuickSilver - !CAGS, Lingenfelter CAI, 05 Bumper with Stainless Works 04->05 cat back, Power Slot Rotors & Hawk pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in