Getting under your car - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting under your car

I know some raise their cars with jacks and use stands but that seems to be a lot of effort to change the oil or rotate tires. Some use ramps but that can present problems if you need the car to be level. Both methods also yield limited height.
So one question is how many of you own or have considered buying a hydraulic lift and, if you decided against it, why?
Second question is how many have access to a lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jacking a car and putting it on stands take maybe 15 minutes. I really haven't been all that limited by it. Even helped a guy do long tubes on his Mustang with it. I personally would love a lift, but I can't justify it for oil chances and basic services I would do a few times a year.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have one, below is a picture from one of my security cameras;

Randy

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 PM

I thought about buying one of those mid raise lifts where you can do basic things to the car. For example: Automotive Lifts by Ammco - Mid Rise Scissor Lift Series I wouldn't do major maintaince with one. I live on base and don't own a house. I've worked on cars and equipment with floor jacks and jack stands for years, so it doesn't bother me much.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I run a shop out of my garage and still kick it old school with jacks and stands. Would love to have a lift though, but low ceiling prevents it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I've been thinking about a scissors jack too. I'm thinking $1300 doesn't take too long to recover when a shop is hitting you for $50 just to change the oil. I have no experience with a scissors jack but I'm assuming it would be suitable for fluid changes, exhaust and brake work, and tire rotations. It would appear to be easier than jack stands and would get the car a lot higher. Anyone have experience with one?
05GTO, you put that picture on there just to be cruel.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You may not be able to do exhaust or tranny/driveshaft work with a scissors jack as the working of the jack get in the way. Which is the major reason I haven't bought one.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

I can see where that would be the case and it's one of the reasons for the thread. I'd hate to get one only to find that it's severely limited in its applications.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM

I think the GTO is one of the easiest unibodies I've ever had to lift. Having the cradle to lift from in the front is awesome, instead of like my Grand Am, which requires a jack on each side behind the front wheels, either on the frame rails/weld seams or the subframe connectors.

I just wish my jack took the car higher. It's just low enough all the way raised to make it uncomfortable to use a creeper... so I'm stuck with using old-fashioned carpet remnants.

And ramps? Jeez, I haven't been able to use those since I got rid of my '84 Parisienne. Sucks, because those were nice and quick to use.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotagoat View Post
Yes, I've been thinking about a scissors jack too. I'm thinking $1300 doesn't take too long to recover when a shop is hitting you for $50 just to change the oil. I have no experience with a scissors jack but I'm assuming it would be suitable for fluid changes, exhaust and brake work, and tire rotations. It would appear to be easier than jack stands and would get the car a lot higher. Anyone have experience with one?
05GTO, you put that picture on there just to be cruel.
Exhaust work would be a strech. Other than that I would limit the amount of work under the car with that kind of jack. Not because of the scissor assembly but its hard to tell what kind of safty measures are in place to keep it from falling on you. That why I said it would be nice for basic work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in