GM Unable to Reprogram My '05 Goat? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GM Unable to Reprogram My '05 Goat?

Interesting experience I'm going through. Need feedback from you all. I took my Goat in to my dealer yesterday because of a glitch in my trip/digital readout in my cluster. There was a line distortion that cut through the middle of the readout creating breaking line across the center of the display.

Dealer order a new guage cluster and put it in but could not get my codes/info back into the goat. I was at the dealer from 9am to 5pm yesterday and it took them all day to get the car to talk to their computers. Now that they got them talking they can't get the codes to download.

Needless to day I'm a bit concerned about this and how the car will run if they get it fixed. Seems no one at the dealer, GM, or tech support can solve the issue.

Meantime, I roll out of the dealer with a beat up 2004 Gran Am and the dealer didn't even call me late evening yesterday with a status on their progress. I'll be leaving shortly to head back to the dealer (no phone calls here...I want 100% face time). The folks at the dealer are cool. This process of not being able to get my goat program back in is really disturbing.

What say you all?

Best,

Thomas

Last edited by 70sFlashback; 03-09-2006 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sFlashback
Interesting experience I'm going through. Need feedback from you all. I took my Goat in to my dealer yesterday because of a glitch in my trip/digital readout in my cluster. There was a line distortion that cut through the middle of the readout creating breaking line across the center of the display.

Dealer order a new guage cluster and put it in but could not get my codes/info back into the goat. I was at the dealer from 9am to 5pm yesterday and it took them all day to get the car to talk to their computers. Now that they got them talking they can't get the codes to download.

Needless to day I'm a bit concerned about this and how the car will run if they get it fixed. Seems no one at the dealer, GM, or tech support can solve the issue.

Meantime, I roll out of the dealer with a beat up 2004 Gran Am and the dealer didn't even call me late evening yesterday with a status on their progress. I'll be leaving shortly to head back to the dealer (no phone calls here...I want 100% face time). The folks at the dealer are cool. This process of not being able to get my goat program back in is really disturbing.

What say you all?

Best,

Thomas
That sux. Technology definitely has a down side when something goes wrong.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Mr. Dumb-as-a-Wrench stumped on a simple service of their own cars?

[sarcasm]I'm shocked.[/sarcasm]

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Geez, that's a relatively simple fix. How your dealer check previous TSBs for DIC replacements. Somebody's missing a step here. The good news is once they catch this glitch -- your car will be fine. It's just like getting into a tail chase when working on a computer. Something gets screwed up for hours -- like a problem with e-mail access -- and all it turns out to be is that a couple of numbers got transposed.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

LOL, Thanks!

Thanks for all for replies...humorous and otherwise. :-)

I agree...it seemed someone had to be missing a step here...dang, I need learn more about automotive tech...I'm waay too deep into computer tech but got nothing on auto tech...any good places to start...?

Dealer has ordered a new PCM for overnight delivery and will replace it tomorrow. Supposed to be back in the saddle by tomorrow afternoon.

I was a bit unhappy about the fact that no thought it was important to call me today with and update while my Goat is sitting in their garage teathered to a computer.

Seems they did work the issue this morning and promptly ordered the part after decided that the car and the computers were never going to talk to each other at this point.

However I did make the visit to the dealer for the face time with the service manager and general manager. All seems to be on track for now.

Technology...gotta luv it...

T

Last edited by 70sFlashback; 03-09-2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typos, etc.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I was a bit unhappy about the fact that no thought it was important to call me today with and update while my Goat is sitting in their garage teathered to a computer.
That's pretty much SOP for any dealer. Even so-called "premium" brand dealers don't do much other than take your car in -- and call you when it's done. Good luck.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:19 AM

Same thing has happened to my DIC! Haven't taken it to the dealer yet and now I'm not sure I want to if they have to replace the PCM. I've had mine "tuned" and don't want to have to pay for another one.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Well...not looking good right now.... :-/

The dealer called me today about 12:30 - 1pm approximately (EST). They said that the new pcm didn't work and that they've done all they can think of and the car simply won't start.

Now they are trying to get in touch with a GM engineer to fly out and take a look at it.

Don't know if I should start looking for an attorney or what. No way I'm going to settle for less than being restored to my original state which is an 05 GTO. my GTO is only 9 months old.

This is going to be interesting.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:39 PM

Good grief. That's unbelievable. Look on the bright side, at least you have a full weekend to do as many neutral drops in your Grand Am courtesy car as possible. As for your car, I don't think GM's going to fight you too hard on this one -- as it's one of their dealers that barfed on themselves.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Lol

LOL...yeah. and far more inconvenient at this point. They've had my Goat since Weds 9am.

It's about 115am EST Sat 3/11/06 as I post this...had a long evening with wifey. I spoke with my dealer about 3pm EST on 3/10/06. Said the GM engineer dude would be there on monday and something about this same issue being delt with at another dealer as a result of a GTO that needed cruise control fix/replacement.

He then says something about their (dealer) computer needed to be configured for pass through communication with my GTO's computer and that the ICM, PCM, PIM (yadda yadda) all need to talk and this guy will get it all configured. I ask why they aren't configured to talk to the Goat, he said they were but went back into how the acronyms all need to work together to get the Goat running.

Well I told him this cannot be a jerry-rigged, band aid application to get my Goat out of the garage so that I could have a problem miles down the road, after the warranty runs out in 12K+ more miles or when the Goat needs another service the requires the computer to be shutdown and restarted/reloaded. If they fix it, we're talking extending my warranty or something like that although specifics weren't mentioned. He did say he would address that concern after we determine what our progress turns out to be on Monday. I told him I had two questions...is the product defective or the dealer service?

No matter how it turns out...I must remain in a GTO. So we'll see. To be honest I only want my original GTO back in solid working condition and protection against future defect. I would prefer this to be dealer incompetence in servicing GTO's instead of a defective car.

I'll post an update on Monday night.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best,

Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Good grief. That's unbelievable. Look on the bright side, at least you have a full weekend to do as many neutral drops in your Grand Am courtesy car as possible. As for your car, I don't think GM's going to fight you too hard on this one -- as it's one of their dealers that barfed on themselves.

Last edited by 70sFlashback; 03-11-2006 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in