Got an 06 today, its stalling - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got an 06 gto, now coolant leaK, + mysterious starting

Just bought an 06 gto today, 49000 miles, 6spd, all stock except a Knn filter. Never owned a manual, or a fast car, but I have been a fan of the gto for a long time.
Ran good today except for when I got home, started stalling and studdering at low speed. I revved it up a bit and took off again and that is when my traction control went off. I could not turn it back on again until the car was shut off and back on, then everything worked normal. Troubleshooting this problem led me to this site, and now i have an idea that it might be the MAF sensor malfunctioning,, seeing as i have a knn also. Kind of a scary thing to happy to my car on the first day i own it.
Anyways, Im new here, thanks for any help in advance, im sure i will be here often now

Last edited by 06Goat88Rc; 06-05-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Over oiled filters are a fairly common problem and affect fueling. Buy a MAF cleaner and CAREFULLY spray the MAF sensor and let it dry. Also double check the MAF connector

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Over oiled filters are a fairly common problem and affect fueling. Buy a MAF cleaner and CAREFULLY spray the MAF sensor and let it dry. Also double check the MAF connector
I had autozone pull the codes today and sure enough the maf popped up as being intermittent. Since the car has a warranty that covers this, i think i will just get a free replacement and start new. I cant seem to figure out how to disconnect the wire anyways, im used to working on my old school truck, not all this new fangled computer stuff.. Im glad i found this site though, i have a similar site for my ramcharger and it has been so usefull

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
The wires plug straight into the MAF. A new one should fix it but hopefully it isn't an over oiled filter issue that could contaminate the new MAF. FWIW these newfangled computer" cars are easier to work on than all but the oldest school cars.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Seen this many times. Replacing the MAF sensor could lead to the same codes.
I would clean the K&N air filter again being careful not to over oil it, clean the MAF sensor with the right cleaner, re-set the codes and go from there.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I see the wire going into the MAF, but I dont want to break it, it doesnt seem to want to come out, it doesnt just unplug, there is usually a safety of some sort and i cant figure it out lol. The MAF is a 2 inch long section of the intake tube right? on my knn it butts right up next to the box so oil seems like a reasonable cause, the filter looks pretty dry though. I drove about 50 miles today on and off like 8 times and never had a problem. I think i will do some exploratory surgery tomorrow if i can get the damn wire to disconnect. i wanted to clean the filter and tube up anyhow because the dealership left it looking kind of crappy.

Oh and also, what could i clean the MAF with, without having to go to autozone again.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Former Super Moderator

Only use MAF sensor cleaner, others can screw it up and damage it.
If you can post a pic of the plug we can tell you how to get it off.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Former Moderator

Garage
LS2 has a 5 wire MAF plug that's linear and it is right at the MAF. There's just little clip like things you bend out a bit with a small screwdriver. If you clean a filter and re-oil I always suggest laying it on an old bath towel out in the sun for an afternoon to wick out any excess.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I bought some maf cleaner this morning and i think the screwdriver under the catch of the wire will work just fine. Thank you guys for the help, ill let you know if this fixes my problem when i can get around to cleaning it later today
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Former Super Moderator

If you take it back to the dealer they may not stand behind the MAF if the K&N air filter is on there. If the PO gave you the original air filter be sure to put that back on before going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in