Got a leak, need some advice. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got a leak, need some advice.

Wassup everyone. I've got air leaking out of the drivers side cylinder head. I hope I explained that right...it's coming out in the rear all the way in the back. I retightened the bolts cuz I found a few not too tight hoping that would do the trick but nope. Car runs without any problems but you can hear it "farting" all the time. My question is is it as simple as just replacing the cylinder head gasket? I'm ok with little reparis but havent done anything thing like this before
and def dont wanna mess anything up and also if Im gonna change one side guess I should change the passenger side as well to avoid future problems? Thanks a ton in advance guys. Be safe. peace. RC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 AM

Post a pic pointing at the exact area.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Correction. My bad. Found the leak. Should have done a more thorough search. It's coming from the header. Got a burnt finger for confirmation in the process . Guess I'll try some gasket sealant if not just change out the old ones for new ones, guess the same question applies, should I change the passenger side as well to avoid future problems? Sorry for the mishap. Peace. RC.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Don't waste your time with gasket sealant. You need to replace the gaskets. I would also looking into switching to studs rather then header bolts. Maybe even consider doing a long tube install :-)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 PM

If money isn't an issue or the leak isn't annoying you and you can wait get the SLP set up with new headers and high flow cats on their mid pipes. Awesome sound and awesome power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in