Is the gto a piece of crap? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the gto a piece of crap?

I am beginning to believe it is. I purchased my car March 05, brand new. Since that momentous day, I have tried to enjoy my awesome car and put the bad things aside. I fear the bad is starting to outweigh the good. My car left me stranded, again for the 3rd time. Key won’t turn in the ignition. It has been an endless onslaught of problems that I would never ever had expected from a $33,000 car. I sold my 2001 KIA Spectra with 60K miles on it for this, and that car went to the repair shop 1 times in its whole abused life with me. The A/C stopped working at about 1000 miles and it was repair in 30 mins. $12,000 after tax for the thing. I love the car for what it is supposed to be (I go to meetings, race days, here on the boards sometimes) but I am seriously thinking of dumping it now. The service list is like 5 pages long now. It has been in service since the day I bought it for
Driver seat rails (adjustment motor stuff) 3 TIMES!
Passenger seat rails 2 TIMES!
HVAC system stopped working once (vacuum problem)
Rear differential replacement
Drive axle fell out once (left me stranded on road)
Ignition Key wouldn’t turn in ignition 3 TIMES!! (2 FULL ignition replacements = 2 times stranded; towed in again today for the 3rd GD time; same driver, laughed at me for my POS)
Drivers side rear window seal went bad (entire window replaced as its one piece, now with no tint)
5 front end alignments (at MY expense, the thing will not hold alignment and chews up my tires)
Front strut bushings collapsed; replaced
Drivers side door panel leather trim fell off; replaced door panel
Now passenger side leather coming off; in for replacement
Countless sets of broken carpet retainers
Rear transmission tail shaft seal leaking; replace seal
Passenger side sun visor replaced, fabric unraveled around mirror
Front end makes metal clunking sound when you hit bumps in the road (suspect some bushing is damaged); in for repair
Horn would sound autonomously (comedic post here regarding this if you care to read); replaced relays; continued again; replaced steering wheel/air bag assembly; continued still and replaced some coil in the steering column at last(3 trips to finally fix)
Rear “GTO” valance (base of bumper) fell off and needed to be replaced
Key FOB died; needed to be replaced

I am sure I am missing something else but with all the trips it has been a blur. The dealer has been great, they all know me by name. They have provided rental cars at every turn, the Enterprise guys also know me by name. But it only serves to take the sting off. I am left with a dim view of Pontiac and GM though and I doubt I would buy another. Truly unfortunate. If only KIA made something with a V8 and a stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Man o days...

Have you thought about Buy Back or Lemon Law options? I would explore this if you can. Your patience outlasted mine if I were encountering this... I have no complaints with mine.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree; you should check into the Lemon Law. I've had my '05 since March of that year too. Almost 15K miles and no (knock on wood) problems. It's never been in the shop. It sounds as if you got one those late Friday afternoon builds and it was the thirteenth day of the month.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Damn!
I would also check about your state lemon laws.
I've had my 05 M6 since 6/05 and have 55K on it, now. Never been back to the
dealer, and only issue I have now, is the stitching on the top of the rear
seats have pulled apart for about an inch on each.
I did have an alignment at about 30K. and all is well.
Daily driver, and is driven HARD at times.

Larry
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM

Sounds like you bought a car made on a Friday.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As I read this saga again, I realized, your 5 times in for front end alignment at your expense. You NEVER should have had to pay for the alignments. You obviously have a strut problem and probably other things going on that's kicking you out of spec. Your next expense will be tires. Don't let them hood wink you into paying for them, your strut rub is chewing them up. If the tires are bad, get them off the car before you blow one. Your car will be unsafe with chewed up tires. If that car keeps coming out of alignment like that there is something major going on there. 5 times in 2 years is not normal. I am sure your dealer could tell if you were rock climbing in the thing, or off roading. For them to charge you for alignments, it's adding insult to injury. Normal wear and tear front end alignments are different than reoccurring problems.

The more I read your post the madder I get at the problems your having.

www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:22 PM

My 04 has not seen the shop yet for anything but little warrenty stuff.

Great car.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

The deler stated that several things are not covered under warranty. Bulbs, belts, tires, brake pads, and alignments are a few mentioned. 5 does seem excessive to me as well. 1 was at another shop, the third I believe, because I thought the dealer just didnt know what they were doing. I cant actually believe it, but my car isnt suffering from this strut rub problem. The inner tire wall on my front tires never wore, it always wore the inner tread on the tire as if it had some serious excessive negative camber. Initially the dealer pointed to excessive cornering as the problem. "My Fault". I dismissed that theory with the service manager in about 10 seconds by asking the simple question "Where is the outer edge wear on the opposite tire?" You cant corner only on the inside edge of both front tires. Anyway, seems the collapsed bushings on the strut bearings was causing all of it, from the tire wear to the alignment issues. I am glad that issue is now resolved but it makes little difference to me, I still had to suffer all of it. I must have gotten a Friday car as stated, I should call it "Fosters". I will look up the Florida lemon law text but after 2 years and 36K miles I would be suprised if I have any recourse there. Its just so insane.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
NORMAL alignments are not covered, correct. However, you mentioned negative camber, that is the leading cause of strut rub. You also mentioned chewed up tires. They just don't chew themselves. Your tires I would bet are rubbing your struts do to negative camber. Take a look at your strut. If there is no rub marks on it then you can dismiss this problem, but judging by your diagnosis, I'd bet you are having some strut rub. There is something going on with your front end which is causing constant alignments, this is NOT normal. The dealer is double talking you. You already caught him blaming you for excessive cornering. You confronted him on that and he then dismissed that theory.

It's common knowledge there is strut issues with these cars. Your collapsed bushings was under warranty? If so, why would the alignment NOT be? It was causing wear problems. I had my car aligned UNDER warranty at 17K miles because the dealer noticed, at an oil change the negative camber was out and the tires were barely touching the struts. Now, if alignments are NOT covered under warranty why am I and others getting alignments done under warranty?

IMO.....If your service guy was trying to blame YOU for excessive cornering then recanted after you disproved that theory, what else is this service guy blaming on you or normal wear and tear that is NOT normal?? I maintain all of your alignments that were done as a result of continuing problems is a warranty issue. It's your choice if you choose to let it go, but you paid for a warranted problem, 5 times!!!!

www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 PM

I would be PISSED if I had those problems with my car. I have owned an 04 and now an 06 and they both are great cars. I don't know if it was a Friday build thing or not but, I believe that your situation is far and few between (the GTO is really a great car--unfortunately yours isn't). You'll hear some people with some issues but, not too many with your list. I would talk to another dealer about the alignment because some dealers will cover that. Good luck with your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in