Having the Resonator removed on Sat. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having the Resonator removed on Sat.

Ok, so I just picked up my 05 GTO last Sat, and this Sat I am going to have the resonator removed. I have searched a ton and it seems that an Xpipe will just make my exhaust a bit quieter. I am going with 2 seperate pipes to redo the system. I want just a bit more growl without replaing the mufflers just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEVIL
Ok, so I just picked up my 05 GTO last Sat, and this Sat I am going to have the resonator removed. I have searched a ton and it seems that an Xpipe will just make my exhaust a bit quieter. I am going with 2 seperate pipes to redo the system. I want just a bit more growl without replaing the mufflers just yet.
Why would you have the resonator removed instead of the mufflers?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Why would you have the resonator removed instead of the mufflers?
if u dont want to spend the money now get rid of the mufflers and say to the cops those are the mufflers ( point to the reasonators)
i believe thats what i will do until i get the money

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I have read that mufler removal will very much increase the sound. I only want a slight improvement for now.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I have read that mufler removal will very much increase the sound. I only want a slight improvement for now.
Yes, it will increase the volume for sure! I believe the resonator will change the sound, not the volume. Kind of like the difference between volume and tone on a radio. Not sure, but I hope its what you want.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, now you have me thinking. So what kind of sound am I going to get without it. I kinda just wanted it louder and a bit more noticeable. No so much a different pitch
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Hmm, now you have me thinking. So what kind of sound am I going to get without it. I kinda just wanted it louder and a bit more noticeable. No so much a different pitch
I have no idea what it sounds like without it, but I know that what a resonator does is to create a sound effect in the exhaust system. Taking the mufflers off and having a piece of pipe put in their place increases the volume, a lot. I have now had several people pull up next to me and tell me that the car sounds really nice. Most of the comments... "That thing sounds like it has 400 horsepower" (My license plate reads "400 PNYS") It was scary at first because it is a considerable change, I thought I made a mistake. Now I love it, and so do alot of other people. You get that LS2 over 3000 RPM and it sounds like your standing on the wall at Talladega. If you want it louder and more noticeable taking off the muffs is going to get you exatly that and it sounds hellacious. I took my car to a local muffler shop and it was in and out in 45 mins, while I waited. $56 and the mechanic even painted the pipes black to match the stock pipes. The tips are perfectly in place and he fixed the factory alignment problem. When he drove it back around to the front he had the biggest $hit eating grin on his face, told me that he wasnt sure when he started but when he finished and fired it up he said "It Rocks"
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:01 PM

Removing the mufflers from this car was the greatest thing I've done to the car so far. It sounds A M A Z I N G.

Check out my gallery for the removal picts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:44 PM

So are the black ones on each side on the back the mufflers?

The thread above indicates "get rid of the mufflers and say to the cops those are the mufflers ( point to the reasonators)" which was confusing to me because the thing up front looks like only one piece with 2 pipes in and 2 out and it is referred to as reasonators meaning two?

Anyway, I have the Magnaflow X-pipe cat back. It is a nicely made system, but it is too quiet. Only marginally louder than stock if any and a slighty better hummm. I wonder, with the X-pipe, what would it sound like if I got rid of the mufflers? Any ideas?

Last edited by michaelskier; 09-13-2005 at 09:51 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:43 PM

I got my mufflerectomy a month or so ago. It sounds great. It will really roar when you step on it, but if you take your foot off the pedal it'll quiet down. It's not obnoxious, just a nice sound. I don't think taking off the resonator would make it any louder, but I've heard removing the cats would... I left the resontator on for now, will probably replace it with straight pipes once the exhaust needs replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in