Hawk vs. Stock - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hawk vs. Stock

I replaced my front brake pads w/Hawk racing pads. I noticed the difference immediately. It takes less pedal pressure to acheive the same braking effect.
I noticed while changing the pads that the friction material on the stock pads was tapered on either side, (WTF?) so you wouldn't have full surface contact between the pads and rotor until the friction material was half gone. Does anyone know if there's a legitimate reason/purpose for this?- other than making the pads need to be replaced sooner. I will upload the pics of the pads side by side that I took, so you can check them out.

Last edited by 05GTO; 02-09-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the heads up, pics apreciated when you get time.

I remember when I did new 6 piston calipers, larger slotted and drilled rotors and pads on my car prior to this one and man what a difference.

So many people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to make their cars go faster and faster and never spend a dime to make it stop quicker with less brake fade when hot lapping etc.

Good job man.

I want some better rotors and pads too, then again I want everything lol.

Maybe I will hit the lotto!

Is the brake fade any better on extended highway trips like in stop and go traffic with just a pad change? I know they have the rotors out already for the 04's and the price isn't too bad.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Rob

The stock pads are a joke. Couldn't believe how small they actually were. I went with C5 pads. AC Delco ceramics up front and still stock in the rear. Very noticeable difference. And they don't dust near as bad as the stockers.

Rob
04 IBM M6 GTO

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

pics of pads.

The pics. were approved and they show up in my pic. gallery. (Clicky on the "My GTO photos" link under my name on the left hand side of the post.)

Maximental

Last edited by Maximental; 02-08-2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add a word.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Awesome pics thanks, I want to do both of these mods now. Just wires for now though I can do the plugs later. Where did you buy yours at?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHax
Awesome pics thanks, I want to do both of these mods now. Just wires for now though I can do the plugs later. Where did you buy yours at?
I'm not sure if I should do this since the site is not a sponsor, but I'll take the heat if it's not cool. I got them from Thunder Racing. Here's a link, http://www.thunderracing.com. Moderator: hope it's okay, and thanks for inserting my pix into the posts.

Maximental
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks,

I have shopped at TR for a long time and if they are not a sponsor maybe they should be? They are on practiclly every LS1 site there is and have proven themselves reputable in my opinion. I will get these ordered soon thanks again!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 11:20 PM

The reason they taper the ends of the stock pads is to help get rid of alot of the tip in brake squel and it also helps cool them a bit not to try and help them wear out faster or anything like that. I would bet money that the stock pads would last longer than your aftermarket ones they probley won't stop as well but it is a give and take sort of thing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:09 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb76180
The reason they taper the ends of the stock pads is to help get rid of alot of the tip in brake squel and it also helps cool them a bit not to try and help them wear out faster or anything like that. I would bet money that the stock pads would last longer than your aftermarket ones they probley won't stop as well but it is a give and take sort of thing.
That is true on the taper but just about every pad out there is tapered. Problem with the GTO pad is its incredibly small. I don't think it'll last as long as an aftermarket pad because of that. Why they didn't take the material all the way out to the edge of the plate is anybody's guess. Probably why they fade so fast.

Wonder if the '05 pads are the same way?

Rob
04 IBM M6 GTO
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Installation Procedure

OK...I've gone through too many cars over the years to ever getting around to change brake pads myself. What is actually involved in changing out the pads? If there's one thing about my GTO that I haven't been completely satisfied with, it's the braking performance, so this is an upgrade that I'd certainly like to perform.

Any feedback here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in