Head light help - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Head light help

I just bought a used 2004 GTO and when I was getting ready to leave the dealer we noticed the head lights werent comming on. He is going to fix them for me.

But I cant help but touch stuff. Anyways I popped the hood and checked both 20wat fuses and they were good. I opened up 1 headlight and the bulb was inside it and plugged in. It looked okey from what i can tell but it is dark.
So... does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? The lower lights and the high beams work fine.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If the bulbs are dark they're probably burned out. You should never touch those headlight bulbs on the glass part either, the oil on your fingers will cause them to burn out quick.
Congrats on your purchase!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.

At first I was thinking how the hell could both lights burn out so fast. Then I read that the GTO has daytime running lights so that could do it.
I'm gonna stop on my way home from work and just pick up some new bulbs and see if that fixes things. I rather fix it as soon as I can.

If that doesn't fix it do you happen to know what I should read at the socket with an ohmmeter?

Thanks again

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You`d be looking for voltage at the head light plug when the lights are on, not resistance. I`ve seen both lights burn out before when an alternator is overcharging and the motor gets buzzed up hard. Might wanna check the battery voltage when the car is running too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekk View Post
I just bought a used 2004 GTO and when I was getting ready to leave the dealer we noticed the head lights werent comming on. He is going to fix them for me.

But I cant help but touch stuff. Anyways I popped the hood and checked both 20wat fuses and they were good. I opened up 1 headlight and the bulb was inside it and plugged in. It looked okey from what i can tell but it is dark.
So... does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? The lower lights and the high beams work fine.

Thanks
Congrats on your purchase Trek.
Here's a thought. When you look at the headlight housing, are there wires coming out of the dust cap?
The reason I am asking is, that, being this is a used 04 GTO, there is a possibility that a former owner may have converted to HIDs instead of standard bulbs.
If that were the case, then a whole series of other issues could be afoot.
Just a thought.

mac

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Well good new is it was just 2 burnt out headlights!
Bad news is!!! I went to 6 places and none had cool blue H11 bulbs so now the fogs are blue/white and the headlights are standard yellowish Doh!

Now to decide if I should change the fogs or the headlights

Thanks everyone
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 AM

Fogs are a 9040 bulb. You can ghetto rig a 9004/9005 bulb by shaving some of the lip. It's almost impossible to fing 9040 bulbs, so ghetto rigging is the only option I've seen so far. Also, do HID's... Here's a pic of stock vs. 6K HID's on mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in