headers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
headers

Will aftermarket headers alone affect emissions from the car? I know Borla and Corsa have cat-back exhaust systems that are 50-state emissions legal, but they don't sell headers for the gto. I just want to make sure that the headers I pick won't make me fail the smog test. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 PM

As long as you arn't in California
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I am in California. Does anyone live in California that has superchared or turbocharged their GTO? Is it still emissions legal? I think people in California can't even add a new air intake!! I know the KN one is illegal.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Thats rediculous! I just said that as a joke. I didnt know that was actually the case. I am in TN and they dont really care what you do.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Chris, I am pretty sure an intake isn't going to hurt your emissions in California. many exhaust systems are even california safe. Headers will most likely fail the test though, atleast long tubes will.

I thought some of Lingenfelter's cars were smog legal... but I'm guessing this excludes California.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM

LT headers are illegal in any state that check emissions as they move the location of the cats. I believe JBA shorties are legal in CA if you leave the cats on the car.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow
Chris, I am pretty sure an intake isn't going to hurt your emissions in California. many exhaust systems are even california safe. Headers will most likely fail the test though, atleast long tubes will.

I thought some of Lingenfelter's cars were smog legal... but I'm guessing this excludes California.

All I know for sure is that the K&N has only one type of intake kit for the GTO: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=63-1099

And it says that it's not legal in some states. California has the most restrictive emissions laws, so if it's illegal somewhere, it's illegal in California.

Some sites say that all of their intake kits pass emissions laws for all 50 states, but they don't have one shaped for the GTO. They probably get away with modifying the 4 cylinder cars without problems, but the big ls1 or ls2 is too dirty...at least in California.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Whiteshadow and Purdone!

What is it about the long tube headers that will make it fail? Just because the cat is further back? Is it because the gas has time to cool a tiny bit before it reaches the cat? Thx.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:32 PM

I'm betting the SLP mid lenghts would pass both the sniffer and the visual, it would come down to whether they had a CARB number I guess. Someone mentioned JBA's yeah they pass for California but show about 3RWHP gains and zero track gains, although they look nice. IMHO if you are going to get headers get L/T's they have some that are posting 35RWHP numbers!

Then when it is time to smog sell the car hahahah J/K. CA sucks.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8299s
Thanks, Whiteshadow and Purdone!

What is it about the long tube headers that will make it fail? Just because the cat is further back? Is it because the gas has time to cool a tiny bit before it reaches the cat? Thx.
Well actually as far as I know, long tube headers just eliminate the catalytic converter all together. Basically, the header is nicknamed 'long tube' because it is the same length as the stock header+catalytic converter. Shorty headers are stock length that will bolt right up to the stock catalytic converter. By getting rid of the catalytic converter, you are gaining a lot of power... but if you go with the longtubes, you ALWAYS want to make sure to get o2 simulators which will tell the computer all is well! Otherwise you'll be driving around with a check engine light on!

Last edited by Whiteshadow; 01-19-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in