User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Headlamp Removal

Hello all!

Im currently new to this forum so my browsing capabilities are not the best yet so i apologize if this has been answered before.

I own a 2004 GTO and just ordered HID's from a website that was recomended on this forum. I was looking through my owners manual on headlamp removal and it was not very descriptive. It tells me to remove the battery completely (is this really necessary?). I also went and looked at my car and saw one bolt that looks to be holding the headlamp in place. However i doubt thats the case. So i read on in the manual and it says i need to remove radiator cover and the four screws holding it in.

So right now im kinda sitting here wondering if this is gonna take forever to do and debating on paying to have it done for me. SO...Does anyone have any pictures or advice on headlamp removal that would make putting the hid kit in for one easier and for another cheaper?

Thanks,
Daniel

Here is a pic i took BTW

and another....

Last edited by DanielFinzel; 02-05-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: trying to add attachment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 PM

My hid's are still in the box so I'll let those who have installed them answer.
I'm curious to follow the instructions again myself because i was under the impression the the battery and the air box had to be removed , not the fan shroud.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 PM

I know for a fact their are 2 more fasteners on the bottom side of the headlight. I don't think thats even a problem however as I think you could just remove the battery and work from the back for the passengers, and on the drivers side you would just take out the air box.

Not entirely sure though.. It's wet out or I would go take my car apart and take pictures..

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
you might want to clean that battery up a little.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

dirty.... lol

Lol NJGoat, Thanks for the tip

So neone who has the hid kit installed...any advice? I should receive these either tomorrow or thursday (hoping for thursday, its my day off!!!) so im in need of advice! i could try and do it on my own but boy i sure did mess it up on my 99 grand am, they were never right after that....lol
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi,
You don't remove the headlights, just the bulbs.
You don't have to remove the battery, but it makes it easier, to get to the
cover over the bulb.
Also, I didn't remove the air box. The cover on the driver side is fairly easy to access.
Removing the radiator cover may make the install easier. also.
Just pull up on the center pins of the locks, four, I think.

Larry
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 AM

https://www.gtoforum.com/f42/hid-inst...d+installation

Go to this thread to find some answers.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFinzel View Post
Hello all!

Im currently new to this forum so my browsing capabilities are not the best yet so i apologize if this has been answered before.

I own a 2004 GTO and just ordered HID's from a website that was recomended on this forum. I was looking through my owners manual on headlamp removal and it was not very descriptive. It tells me to remove the battery completely (is this really necessary?). I also went and looked at my car and saw one bolt that looks to be holding the headlamp in place. However i doubt thats the case. So i read on in the manual and it says i need to remove radiator cover and the four screws holding it in.

So right now im kinda sitting here wondering if this is gonna take forever to do and debating on paying to have it done for me. SO...Does anyone have any pictures or advice on headlamp removal that would make putting the hid kit in for one easier and for another cheaper?

Thanks,
Daniel

Here is a pic i took BTW

and another....

Hey Daniel,
The HID installation is really not that hard, but, it is much easier if you remove the headlamps from the car.
You do not have to take the battery out to remove the headlamp. Use an extension on a rachet with a 10mm socket to get the retaining bolt for the passenger side lamp. There are also two bolts underneath each lamp, that will require you to remove the front bumper cover. This may sound intimidating, but it's pretty easy. The front bumper cover his held on by 7 screws. Two each in the leading edge of each front wheel opening, and three across the top on, under the hood.
Go to LS1gto.com and do a search for "front bumper removal" and it gives you detailed instructions on how it's done.

Removing the headlamps, the radiator shroud and the front bumper cover will make for a very smooth installation.

The HID kits are "esentially" plug and play, but I found the kit plug to not fit securely into the factory harness, so I opted to hard wire mine, and have had no trouble with it. I did my lows and fogs at the same time.

Email or PM me if you need anymore help.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 AM

This is the first I'm hearing to remove the bumper but i'd rather play with that then the battery...I hate sparks.

Will the air box on the drivers side have to be removed as well?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyones responses in this forum. It has def been helpful!

So I basically gathered a bunch of info from different threads and this one and as soon as i get them in im pretty sure Im going to use my video camera and record what happens. Hoping for a successful first time (but hey dont we all if u know what i mean lol)

As soon as i get the kit in its going in that day! So im still hoping for thursday being that Im off work that day and will save me from having to call in

Ill keep posted on how it goes and if im able to i will attach or link to you all the URL for the video of the glorious and therefor hopefully successful install!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in