Heya guys. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heya guys.

Hi all, n00b here. Sorry to make this my first post, but, that's the way it's gotta' be. I have an '04 Goat and recently got a ticket from a cop on a power trip. I removed the mufflers, and he wrote me a ticket for illegal exhaust, which I am fighting. Is there any chance that anyone on here has a picture of a GTO with stock exhaust resembling the picture below? Car color doesn't matter, or really anything other than whether or not the car has stock exhaust (I'm a photoshop pro ). If any of you can help me out, I would really appreciate. Thanks in advance all!

-Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I have an '04 Goat and recently got a ticket from a cop on a power trip. I removed the mufflers, and he wrote me a ticket for illegal exhaust, which I am fighting.
Illegal in what way? Emissions? The mufflers won't have anything to do with that. Too loud? Nothing you can do to fight that. If it's too loud, it's too loud. You shouldn't have pissed him off.

Last edited by Starrbuck; 01-10-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:51 PM

Actually, the cops ear is not calibrated... he doesn't have a decible meter implanted in his brain...

city ordnance here is x amount of feet away from the vehicle but it is a hard one for the police to prove, Some other citys use a certain volume but there is no way for the officer to prove his case. Most that are fought will be won.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Here you go.....

and a non-stock yellow '05er....

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Thanks, PA Goat. Was looking for that jack point diagram the other day.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pic! I should be able to workout something with that.

All it said was "Illegal Exhaust", didn't specify. Yay Colorado police.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 PM

He/she should have also written a number on the ticket, which showed exactly which law was broken. For most, it's a number like 523.20 or something. If that's the case, look up the exact law he says you broke and then see if it's a subjective law or something you can prove that you DIDN'T do. I suspect that you're just screwed though. An excessive noise violation doesn't count toward your total points, so you won't lose your license over it. It's more of a nuisance ticket than anything else. I'd also bet you're really not gaining much horsepower by not running any mufflers vs running some high-flow mufflers (which would keep you legal). Now, if that's an emissions ticket, you're probably just SOL.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 AM

I'm a cop here in L.A. and I can tell you what the rules are here. You have to have mufflers in California. Noise is not even an issue. It is just a requirement by the CADOT that you have to have a muffler. Colorado is probably the same in that regards.

Also, although the cops ears are not "calibrated" they are able to hear when a car is obviously louder than allowed. It is then up to you to prove that it is legal.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:56 AM

Guilty until proven innocent?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSleeper
Guilty until proven innocent?

I should clarify. (Thank's for the PM).

When you are cited by a cop for an infraction, you are then burdened with having to prove that the charges against you are false. Not the other way around. For example, when you are cited for speeding and go to court, I say what I observed, then you give your side. I have the law to prove what I am saying. You have to prove that I am mistaken.

In the case of this specific issue, I have the PC tp pull you over for a very loud car, then while inspecting the vehicle I find that you have no mufflers. I document that and present it to the court. Now, it is up to you to prove that I am mistaken.

You are always considered innocent until proven guilty under the law, however, once you are acused, you have to beat the accusation somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in