horrible noise after clutch and cam install!!! Dont know what it could be - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
horrible noise after clutch and cam install!!! Dont know what it could be

last year i installed a stage 3 monster on my 06. so one day i was taking it to get fuel and when i went to stop and pull in this horrible sound came from the car. It sounds like there are a bunch of empty beer cans stuck under the car and are scrapping. the car now makes this sound every once in a while and it only does it when i stop i checked my breaks and under body nothing seems to be touching. so all i can pin it to is either the clutch or maybe something with the motor i have an ms4 cam. Anyone have an idea what it could be???

Spintech H-Pipe/Kooks SS Catless Mids/New Era Intake/MS4 111 LSA/Ported TB/160 Stat/Monster Stage 3/LSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM

First off does it make the sound when your car is idling? or only when you push the clutch in and out?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

no. only when im decelerating it makes the sound and it doesn't do it every time. its so hard to explain

Spintech H-Pipe/Kooks SS Catless Mids/New Era Intake/MS4 111 LSA/Ported TB/160 Stat/Monster Stage 3/LSS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOMOE9 View Post
no. only when im decelerating it makes the sound and it doesn't do it every time. its so hard to explain
If you could man, i would try getting a video of when it makes the sound. Kinda odd it doesn't do it everytime?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM

I would check your drive shaft and especially the yoke/center bearing area. The drive shaft might be bent or unbalanced thus the intermittent problem (drive shafts suffer from harmonic problems that could be causing the sound you are hearing). Sounds like your mods might have just made the drive shaft the weak link in your drive train.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM

Last summer I installed a stage three monster as well. And had nothing but problems with it. During break in I did zero pulls to insure that my clutch would break in properly but all this clutch did is add a absolutely nasty shutter every time I take off. I was told it would go away but it stayed the same. Then I started up the car one morning and I sounded like tin cans rattling around but when I would engage the clutch the noise went away. Car is now in storage and I still haven't figured it out yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in