How do I know if my car has the strut issues? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I know if my car has the strut issues?

Hey guys just purchased a new goat auto, but I am having some issues with the tires and handling. Maybe its just me and gong from 140 fwd to 400 rwd I have to get use to but its almost like I don't have the traction that I need with this car moreless afraid to slip and slide off the road when I punch teh gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 10:10 AM

When my 06, build date of 02/06, had the right front strut leak, I felt nothing out of the ordinary in it's handling. I just had hydraulic fluid in the wheel well, along the passenger side of the car and on the wheel.
You've got to learn to RESPECT the car's 400bhp and torque then you'll have fun!
Are you going from FWD to RWD? Big difference in handling style. I bet they don't teach that in driver's ed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:35 PM

you can't just put the pedal to the floor in this car, you will almost always break traction.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I am def going from fwd 140 hp so this is a obviously going to take some time to get use. I just feel like I can't handle the spin when I accelarate too hard which I guess I have to learn how to control it. Any ideas on how to best take off and handle the motion where I don't lose control of the car? I guess flooring it right is not such a good idea
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Strut Issues

I had less than 300 miles on my car when a strut gave way, you'll know it! I thought my exhaust had come loose, it was banging like heck. Every bump I hit it would rattle, etc. I waited nearly a month for new struts, finally gave up and had a Pedders suspension (Justice) installed. Cost almost 3G's but worth every penny.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Handling

Gotta be real careful because of the torque and weak driveshaft/stub axles. I haven't done it yet but I am going with a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft and nitrated axles soon as I can swing them. Next time your car is on a lift and look at the driveshaft and you'll see what I mean and the axles are not built to hold up to a LS2 motor, they were set up for a LS1, an extra 50HP and torque drives them out of their safety limits. That said, be careful and you'll be fine I just forgot the meaning of that word a long time back. I only have two other problems with the GTO. It weighs too much (easy to knock off 150-175 pounds though) and the brakes are too weak for a car that weighs two tons and can top 160mph. I've already loaded up my card and bought Baer brakes (14" front, 13" rear). Makes all the difference in the world.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Pix of leak:

Inside the rim:

Inside the wheel well:

I'd just returned from a 300 mile day trip with speeds up to 85 mph and didn't notice any change in the ride or handling. Saw the oil on the side of the car when I parked it at home and recalled the strut posts on another GTO forum so I took these pix. Mileage was right at the 500 mile mark.
I took the car in the following Monday and had the new struts installed that Wednesday. This was during the last week of June.

Last edited by BV GTO; 01-13-2007 at 07:57 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

yikes that does look bad, hopefully I won't have that issue at all
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 AM

Call your local dealer's service department with your VIN, they should be able to tell you:
1. If the car is affected by this problem
2. If the struts were replaced by the dealership before you bought it

My struts were replaced by the dealership 3 days before I bought it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV GTO View Post
Big difference in handling style. I bet they don't teach that in driver's ed.
my drivers ed did. we had a old standard pontiac POS fwd a new buick auto another old pontiac auto. and for thoes including me and 2 others we got to drive the teachers 427 vette but that was only during the last week of class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in