How are GTOs in the winter? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are GTOs in the winter?

Are GTOs drivable in the winter? I have a LT1 T/A and it isn't happening. I was wondering any of you drive yours in the winter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacophony
Are GTOs drivable in the winter? I have a LT1 T/A and it isn't happening. I was wondering any of you drive yours in the winter?
Absolutely! With a dedicated snow tire, it accelerates, brakes, and turns well on ice and snow. I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS50's (about $150 each) on mine for the winter and have no problems. That very controllable rear end slide of the GTO works just as well in the snow. The rear end will rotate when you want it to but stops as soon as you let off the throttle.

The only downside is the squishy rubber compound and Q speed rating (99MPH) of snow tires. It takes the handling to a new low.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:36 PM

I'm so glad ya posted this cause I was going to start a new thread in regard to the GTO and winter driving:

1. The car sux in the snow

2. Control of vehicle is almost nill

3. On a very slight incline I was ay a stand still, couldnt move.

4. Snow tires my butt.......this has to be the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. I'm driving 35 years.

5. This car is history, cause I'm going back into a truck ASAP.

6. Oh yeah, did I mention , the car sux in the snow.

7. Car is for sale as of now....!!

Last edited by johnebgoode; 02-12-2006 at 04:50 PM.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Absolutely! With a dedicated snow tire, it accelerates, brakes, and turns well on ice and snow. I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS50's (about $150 each) on mine for the winter and have no problems. That very controllable rear end slide of the GTO works just as well in the snow. The rear end will rotate when you want it to but stops as soon as you let off the throttle.

The only downside is the squishy rubber compound and Q speed rating (99MPH) of snow tires. It takes the handling to a new low.
NOT..........!!!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM

I'm wondering if people haven't gotten used to front wheel/all wheel drive and going back to rear wheel drive is a little traumatic in the snow.

When I started driving, there were no front wheel drive cars. You drove rear wheel drive, summer and winter, or you didn't drive.

I drove Chevelles, Road Runners, etc. in the winter. Did they slide? Yes. Did the rear end break loose if you weren't careful? Yes. Could you still get from point a to point b? Yes. You just drove like you knew the roads were slick, and slowed down, braked easy, etc.

Cracks me up these folks wth 4WD that get out every snow, and tear around like crazy people. In my area, there's usually more 4WD vehicles in the ditch after a snow than cars.

The other thing to remember; it doesn't matter if you're FWD, RWD or 4WD, when it comes to stopping, there's no advantage to any of them.

I personally don't plan on driving the goat in the snow, but if it's your daily driver, just take it easy, (maybe add some weight in the trunk), and go where you need to.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz34me
The other thing to remember; it doesn't matter if you're FWD, RWD or 4WD, and go where you need to.
I'm going right to a GMC dealer tomorrow to get a new Yukon. As far as a stopping advantage, I disagree. I was in an '04 Subn. prior to the Goat and the stopping capacity was night and day compared to the GTO. Hands down it stopped at least 65% better.
Also I dont like being incapacitated because of the weather.
I am a volunteer fireman for 35 yrs and I need to be able to get to headqtrs. in a reasonable amount of time when I am alerted. If all of us in the FD were in RWD vehicles the public would be in deep cah cah.
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for my remarks, but there is no way anyone is going to tell me otherwise as I am learning first hand what this car can and cannot do in the snow. We just got 13" of the white stuff, and its been a horror....!!!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM

Mine also stays garaged in bad weather RAIN or SNOW! And I'd never driven in the snow but I hit that friggin' guard rail in that rain storm last fall. Ever sience then she stays parked in bad weather. I'll drive my 'ol $2000 Explorer but here in WV you have to have a 4X4 weather is so unpredictable. I would definitely not wanna drive the GTO on slick roads that 395ft/lb torque will get ya in trouble, maybe not in a M6 in a high gear but I wouldn't try it anyway! your best bet would be find ya a cheap 'ol beater just my 2cts

"Sheila" 1/322
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnebgoode
I'm so glad ya posted this cause I was going to start a new thread in regard to the GTO and winter driving:

1. The car sux in the snow

2. Control of vehicle is almost nill

3. On a very slight incline I was ay a stand still, couldnt move.

4. Snow tires my butt.......this has to be the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. I'm driving 35 years.

5. This car is history, cause I'm going back into a truck ASAP.

6. Oh yeah, did I mention , the car sux in the snow.

7. Car is for sale as of now....!!

Dang...you'd think you would have learned some skills in 35 years. Or, maybe they're fading!

Now be truthful, are you trying to drive a high powered rear wheel drive car in winter on high performance summer tires? If so, then you're not too bright.

Until you've tried a set of Blizzaks or equivalent snow tires on all four wheels, you don't know what you're talking about. But feel free to spend your money any way you wish.

I had a front wheel drive Volvo turbo before the GTO that was "the worst car I'd ever driven in the snow" until I replaced the Michelin MXM Pilot 45 series summer rubber with a set of Blizzaks for winter driving.

As for a Yukon, I also own a 2002 Yukon Denali. It also has a set of Blizzaks on a second set of factory wheels. It does just fine accelerating but it will not out brake or out turn the GTO in the snow. And the Denali doesn't give much feedback to the driver. It's a boat. It won't respond to throttle steer very well at all let alone the comfortable manner in which the GTO responds. I feel no need to take the Denali when it's snowing. None!

Sorry you can't drive.

Oh yeah, and if you think the mighty invincible 4 wheel drive will compensate for poor judgement or lack of skills or bald tires, well....you have lots of company. I see them in ditches every winter.

Last edited by Wing_Nut; 02-12-2006 at 07:22 PM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacophony
I do not plan to drive mine in the snow, but Can tell you my experiance w/ the stock tires in my driveway that has a very slight slope..VERY LOW traction. Maybe snow tires would help but I try and use a front drive car if it snows. Also worry about other drivers sliding into my GTO.

2005 GTO, M6, Quicksilver / Black
2003 GTP, Silver / Black, 3.4" Pulley
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, Hotcam, SLPs, Tune
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, stock
1994 Cadillac STS
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Lots of us use the GTO as a daily driver. This is my second winter. First snow storm last year and I was convinced of the need for snows. Went around a corner about 15 MPH in 6" of snow and fishtailed back and forth about 4-5 times. Put some Blizzaks on it and the driving is night and day. I've driven both front and rear wheel drive and just prefer the rear wheel as it is just more intuitive to correct when it starts ot slip. This car is very controllable in the snow with the right tire. My last car was AWD and the only thing better about that car was the ability to 4 wheel drift for as long as I kept the revs up. Freaked people out to watch me coming down the street sideways.
We've had an exceptionally mild winter here, but when it has snowed, most of the vehicles in the ditch are the 4x4's. My wife's Suburban is 2WD and that never fails to get us around.
Zero traction x 4WD = zero traction.
No condemnation for what people feel they need to drive, but I love this car in the winter.
Q-rated tires are a bit restrictive, but I figure that since its winter, I really shouldn't go any faster than that as I never know when it could be icy and just maybe the lower speed would allow me to keep from dying in the accident.
Get the car if you don't have it, you'll never regret it winter or summer.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in