How much is too much? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much is too much?

I've had my 06 manual for about a month now, and I'm really getting comfortable with the shifting now and driving it in general. Maybe too comfortable. I can't seem to resist the urge to get on it. I'm actually liking it when lights turn red just so I'll get to launch it off the line! I'm shifting consistently at between 3000 and 4000 rpms and I guess my question is how well does the goat handle this long term? Or is this no problem for the LS2?

My thinking was that if the redline is 6500, then shifting anywhere up to say 5000 or so should be no problem, even doing it alot. Make sense?

Last edited by fullarmor2; 03-26-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 PM

i think you'll be ok. Enjoy it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
incanindian2
20 minutes ago

Report Abuse
YES, BUT IT ALSO DEPEND'S ON YOUR SHIFTING RANGE OF THE REAR GEAR'S, TRANSMISSION, AND SHIFTING LIMIT'S OF THE CAR'S ENGINE.

YOU CAN SHIFT AT THOSE RPM'S., BUT YOU MIGHT RUN THE RISK OF BLOWING A SEAL, OR GEAR, OR MAYBE EVEN YOUR TRANNIE AS WELL, ESPECIALLY IF THE GEAR'S OD THE UBOVE MENTIONED ARE NOT SUITED FOR THOSE KIND'S OF SHIFTING CHANGE'S THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY.

ALSO, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR DRIVETRAIN AS WELL TO SEE IF YOU NEED NEW BUSHING'S FOR THOSE KIND'S OF SPEED'S AND POWER RANGES.
Source(s):
BLOWN UP REAR AXLE AND TRANSMISSION FOR NOT CHECKING TO SEE IF MY CHANGE'S WILL RESULT IN MY CAR FAILING TO RUN!
I got this answer on another forum. I'm wondering how well the transmission and drivetrain on the GTO is at handling all the power, even just stock. Over time I mean.

Last edited by fullarmor2; 03-26-2006 at 11:22 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:23 AM

If you have broken the car in normal then you need not worry. I put mine up to 3,500 to 4,500 rpm all the time and no problems. It seems to like it anyway.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:07 AM

My thoughts are that if the engine is warmed up, then shifting shy of redline won't hurt anything. Obviously if its 20 degrees out, you don't want to pull out of your driveway with a cold engine and shift at 6,000rpm. If you think about it you are only at those high RPM levels, for maybe 5 seconds before your back off and hit the Cruise. I know people with C5 Corvette's with 200,000miles on there cars, with proper maintenance.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
lightningfas...
18 hours ago

There is one thing motors do when you push them i guaranty it will blow up, u keep driving this way , race cars engines\
are good for one race what makes you so special, just a matter of time if it a Chevy its going to be soon
Here is another answer I got. If nothing else, these answers remind us to be SMART while enjoying our cars.
I think what they are referring to is going around flooring it all the time, which you don't have to do to enjoy the car.

Last edited by fullarmor2; 03-27-2006 at 07:02 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM

4000 RPM is roughly 60% of redline. I would question anybody that calls that pusing it, or compars that to racing conditions.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:36 PM

I think you'll be fine.

And, if you're going to baby it, you bought the wrong car. This car begs to make smoke and eat rice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAndrew
I think you'll be fine.

And, if you're going to baby it, you bought the wrong car. This car begs to make smoke and eat rice.
This car definitely likes to move, no question about it.
Like I said, I think its fine to a point. I'm amazed at how getting on this car, I'd say 3500 to 4000 or so which is significant, actually feels normal, And I like how other people respond on the road when all I'm doing is driving normal for this thing! And of coarse its fun to open it up a bit more at times.

Last edited by fullarmor2; 03-27-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in