How to validate engine work done to your GTO? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to validate engine work done to your GTO?

I'm hopefully going to get my little goat today from the dealership after having the head gaskets replaced due to faulty transcooler hoses. I really want to do some sort of validation the work was done properly besides just driving off and hoping for the best. I asked to keep all the parts that are being replaced as a step of precaution but I'm still worried about whether the work was worthy of paying nearly $3,000.00 for and done correctly.

I was informed the cylinder head was not warped and that it was machined. I want documentation from the machine shop. I was told all spark plugs were replaced. I want those too. I was also told that all the valves were replaced. Definitely want those back. Thermostat as well among the many parts. I also want the compression test results prior and after. As well engine sensor data.

Of course I'll check the oil and oil filter and coolant. I don't want that. Is there anything else I should look for and is it a good idea to have another mechanic look at the work done? Of course, I'd want somebody who really understands LS engines well. Any suggestions or a checklist of sorts would really be appreciated and useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeomanDroid View Post
I'm hopefully going to get my little goat today from the dealership after having the head gaskets replaced due to faulty transcooler hoses. I really want to do some sort of validation the work was done properly besides just driving off and hoping for the best. I asked to keep all the parts that are being replaced as a step of precaution but I'm still worried about whether the work was worthy of paying nearly $3,000.00 for and done correctly.

I was informed the cylinder head was not warped and that it was machined. I want documentation from the machine shop. I was told all spark plugs were replaced. I want those too. I was also told that all the valves were replaced. Definitely want those back. Thermostat as well among the many parts. I also want the compression test results prior and after. As well engine sensor data.

Of course I'll check the oil and oil filter and coolant. I don't want that. Is there anything else I should look for and is it a good idea to have another mechanic look at the work done? Of course, I'd want somebody who really understands LS engines well. Any suggestions or a checklist of sorts would really be appreciated and useful.
You had a bad head gasket. If a machine shop checked it out and the heads weren't warped, what machining was needed? Also not sure why they would replace the valves either.

Getting all your old parts back is def a good idea as well. Something just sounds really fishy.

Last edited by jpalamar; 10-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
You had a bad head gasket. If a machine shop checked it out and the heads weren't warped, what machining was needed? Also not sure why they would replace the valves either.

Getting all your old parts back is def a good idea as well. Something just sounds really fishy.
I know, it's kind of odd how when I asked for my valves the service advisor went to the parts area and asked about it but couldn't give me an answer. I was mad and while walking out said "I'm definitely going to want them".

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Garage
They aren't stupid, but they are hoping that you are, and you aren't...
They didn't replace the valves, period, they had no reason to replace them. They can get you some old valves from the machine shop, but they aren't yours. Why would your valves be in the "parts area", they should be at the machine shop.
They had no reason to machine the head, the machinist said it wasn't warped, they may have cleaned the surface up with a light grind, but I doubt it.
They are just trying to justify the expense.
They probably did a decent job, remember the mechanic doing the work is not the guy doing the bill. Hopefully the mechanic has some integrity and isn't just after the almighty greenback. I feel for you, the dealership sucks and I would never go back to them again..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Service writers work on commission. If they replaced all that, there will be an invoice they paid. If you don't get your answers or proof, file an online complaing with the BBB then call GM's customer service and start the ball rolling.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 PM

I used to be a mechanic, about a decade ago. Back when I was, I was told that we were legally required to give the parts (the ones replaced) back if the customer asked. Our policy was to offer it to the customer every time, no matter what.

I'm not sure if that was, or is true, and am not privy to any of that from a legal stand point. This may be something you can research and use to your benefit if it's really true.

I have to agree with Jpalamar, something definitely sounds fishy here; sorry to hear about the hardship
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in