I just flush out old power steering fluid & put in new one got a question now... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just flush out old power steering fluid & put in new one got a question now...

I have a 05 a4 goat with 54,000 miles on it:

So what i did was syphon the old power steering fluid with a little clear hose syphon/pump tool I bought at autozone.

then I added more castrol dexron vi atf fluid, tighten ca. back on turn on goat and turn steering from left to right couple times

then drain fluids inside resorvoir again.

then added new castrol dexron vi atf again

then tighten cap back on and closed hood and went out driving to run errands. Thats it done.

So what I did here is it ok to have done? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
As long as you don't here any whining or cavitation you should be okay. The procedure in the manual is a lot more involved than what you did but I guess the main thing is to get it empty, refilled and bled with the right fluid. Does the fluid you used say 'Approved for the H-specification' on the label?

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
As long as you don't here any whining or cavitation you should be okay. The procedure in the manual is a lot more involved than what you did but I guess the main thing is to get it empty, refilled and bled with the right fluid. Does the fluid you used say 'Approved for the H-specification' on the label?
Speaking of approved fluid yes the castrol quart I bought says it is 'Approved for the H-specification inluding backwards compatible to dex 1, 2, 3, 3-h, etc etc.

But what I just notice late last year in november I think i drop the A4 tranny pan to do a basic drain and filter change and I used valvoline dexron VI atf to refill but I notice on that quart yesterday when doing power steering fluid it doesnt say 'Approved for the H-specification" on the bottle. Maybe I'll research it on google to see if the valvoline atf is infact 'Approved for the H-specification" , but so far tranny working fine. Thanks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

i hate when I trip n worry about things but after changing out the power steering fluid and I have no radio sound in car all quiet with windows up if I tun the sterring wheel either direction slowly I can hear a faint, light noise or whining from power steering.

But you see I dont know if it was there all along from the begining now Im just looking, searching , hearing for it. But again its not a loud power steering pump issue you hear commonly when theirs issues with a cars pump, but I do hear it very small slightly if everything is quiet, but If I turn up radio or something I dont hear jack.

Anyones elses goats a a small, minute, sound when turning hte wheels?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek View Post
i hate when I trip n worry about things but after changing out the power steering fluid and I have no radio sound in car all quiet with windows up if I tun the sterring wheel either direction slowly I can hear a faint, light noise or whining from power steering.

But you see I dont know if it was there all along from the begining now Im just looking, searching , hearing for it. But again its not a loud power steering pump issue you hear commonly when theirs issues with a cars pump, but I do hear it very small slightly if everything is quiet, but If I turn up radio or something I dont hear jack.

Anyones elses goats a a small, minute, sound when turning hte wheels?
The only time I hear anything from my steering is when it turned all the way to one side or the other.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
The only time I hear anything from my steering is when it turned all the way to one side or the other.
Yea I hear that too, but what I hear is you jsut have to listen very closely when its all quiet outside and windows up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Nope no noise. Try turning the wheel lock to lock a handfull more times.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
Nope no noise. Try turning the wheel lock to lock a handfull more times.
Hmm interested in why turning it lock to lock? I never did that when changing out the fluid I just turn it alot each way but never lock to lock. Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek View Post
Hmm interested in why turning it lock to lock? I never did that when changing out the fluid I just turn it alot each way but never lock to lock. Thanks
It's the proper way to flush/bleed the powersteering.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
It's the proper way to flush/bleed the powersteering.
Well im all dont with the power steering fluid change, but so do I still do this right now the way it is? Meaning the hood is closed the fluid resovoir cap is tight/closed, do i simply go into car and turn wheel lock to lock now?

If not please explain the steps to do it right. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in