I NEED HELP QUICK (Clutch install) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I NEED HELP QUICK (Clutch install)

I am about to change out my clutch/pressure plate/ throw out and pilot bearing and I didn't get a new flywheel with the kit. I was told that I could have my stock flywheel resurfaced however when I called the machine shop to get a price quote he told me that if I didn't get a pressure plate and flywheel together that was matched and balanced that a new clutch wouldn't work without a horrible vibration. I felt like he was trying to sell me something but i thought I would check with you guys on here first. Anyone know of this horrible vibration he speaks of? I would just send my clutch kit back and get a new one with a flywheel but I'm leaving California in 2 weeks to go back to the east coast where i'm stationed and i just don't have the time. any advice would be great. The clutch I bought is a SPEC Stage 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 AM

Shop sounds like they are trying to get money from you. A machine shop should be able to resurface the flywheel and it should be good as new. Don't know anything about machine and balancing them since peopel buy clutch kits and flys separate all the time and they just work together.

Spec clutches are known for rattling. Don't think there is anything you can really do about that.

If your not too modded and plan to be that way for while, I'd look into the LS7 clutch but you have to get the LS7 flywheel to make it fit. Its stronger then OEM, I belive cheaper, and holds up a tad better without being overly gripper for street use. Its the route I plan to go since I'm done with power mods, other then headers of course.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Call another machine shop for the flywheel machining.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
^clutch and flywheel should be "nuetral" balanced from the factory, meaning they have no offset weight to counterbalance the crankshaft.

Did the instructions with your new clutch specify a surface finish on the flywheel? Some do, and I would call Spec and ask for a surface finish recommendation for optimal performance.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM

i have a 04 m6 and put a dual centerforce pressure plate without a new throwout bearing or new flywheel and it worked flawless just slap it on
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I thought that it was just a poor attempt at a sale. I am probably going to go ahead and find a different machine shop to do the flywheel bc these guys have already broke my trust. just a little FYI its southland clutch in southern california. I really appreciate the advice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740tank View Post
i have a 04 m6 and put a dual centerforce pressure plate without a new throwout bearing or new flywheel and it worked flawless just slap it on
Flawless for now... Def not worth the risk IMO.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740tank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Flawless for now... Def not worth the risk IMO.
I agree 100%. The stock slave is a weak part as it is and when you team a worn one with a clutch that puts more pressure on it you are asking for trouble sir. I know you won't post up when the slave pukes before the next clutch change but for anyone else it's an $80 well spent to put a new one in. . . ask me how I know.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions on where to find a slave cylinder? no one seems to have them except for online... what are the odds of the old one holding up during easy shifting and hwy driving? I just don't have the time to wait for one to get shipped out here to me. I have to do the install this thursday...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, NAPA etc. . . . Get a slave for a 2002 Z-28 or Trans AM and swap the fitting over. It's a 3 minute job. Push the pin out of both slave fittings, swap fitting, push pin back in

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in