If you have an 05 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have an 05

I have an 05 Gto just had a new engine put in after it ran out of oil at 8000 miles. The dealer sent me this today..."The accepted rate of oil for engines used in the 2005 GTO is referenced is 0.946 liter(1qt) IN 3200KM (2000 miles)"

This would explain some of where my oil went. I did not check my oil. The dealer change it one month ago at 6700 miles before it blew. it also says.
"This rate only applies to personal use vehicles,under warranty, That are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintance schedule. Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds. Oil consumption for vechiles driven under these conditions will be more" It says that you must let the car sit at least 15 min before checking the oil and after putting oil in. Now I did this waited that is and my oil leavle did not go up even after 15 min. You have to start the car and let it run for a few and the check the oil again and it will be fine.
I have 2000 miles on my new motor and the car is down 1qt of oil today. I will keep checking it let you know... between the knock sensor and the oil I'm just not sure about the engine....

Anyone else with this oil problem I can't just be the only one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
did u have any mods done? if so they gave u hard time bout that. they will all ways blame on the mods first
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 AM

I've got just over 3k miles on mine but it hasn't been using oil that bad! I think mine used roughly half a quart when I changed it at just over 3k miles.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:50 AM

Changed the oil/filter for the first time at about 3300 miles.....Level was still at the full mark with none having been added.

Now at about 4400 miles, it is at the full mark.

I don't abuse the Goat.....But I don't pet it either!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:01 AM

I check my oil every Saturday. I noticed that it does use oil at the advertised rate. I keep a spare bottle of Mobil 1 with me at all times. Glad to see it is normal. I thought something was wrong with my car.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:03 AM

FYI - Did my first change at 998 - no oil used and just did the second at 3350 and it was down about half a quart.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM

My '05 automatic when new used about 1 qt./2000 miles. Driving was "non-aggressive" except for a few full throttle romps thru two gear changes. Got a tad over 10,000 miles now and consumption has dropped to virtually zero. Guess the rings are slow to set in the LS2.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZ GOAT
did u have any mods done? if so they gave u hard time bout that. they will all ways blame on the mods first
Dealer ship was cool told me all the mods I could do, reprograhm did that, exhaust flowmaster,K&N air intake thats it.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto500hp
Dealer ship was cool told me all the mods I could do, reprograhm did that, exhaust flowmaster,K&N air intake thats it.
my dealership was about the same, no headers, just intake and catback. i was hoping for more but, we'll see.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonfarmer
My '05 automatic when new used about 1 qt./2000 miles. Driving was "non-aggressive" except for a few full throttle romps thru two gear changes. Got a tad over 10,000 miles now and consumption has dropped to virtually zero. Guess the rings are slow to set in the LS2.
Same with my 05 A4. Used 1 quart early and now (12,000miles) , even when I accept the urge to drive aggressively my LS2 doesn't burn oil. I run Mobil 1 and change it and filter every 4-5K. Seems crazy that they would talk about driving
"non-aggressively" in a GTO...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in