User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Ignition/starting problem 69 GTO

I went to start my 69 GTO (4 sp manuel transmission) the other evening. It usually doesn't start on the first try if it has been sitting a while. It turned over fine. ON second try the key would not advance to the start position.
I had the trans in reverse with the clutch disengaged. The lights came on
but the key just wouldn't go to start. I tried wiggling it and taking it in and
out several times. Also shifted trans to all gears. Still nothing. I figured the
ignition cylinder went bad since it is the original one. Cheapest fix would be a new ignition key cylinder. Removed steering wheel and turn signal assembly. Found two slots in the upper right hand side of column I thought would be the location of the cylinder release. Broke through the covering with a small screw driver. I probed those slots for a half hour and could feel nothing that resembled a release. Any one have a similar problem with the ignition and any suggestions on getting the cylinder
out? Thanks J R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 PM

Ignore the first response in this thread; scroll down and you'll find the correct instructions.

No KEY need help to get cylinder out - Nova Tech

It's a Nova site and they are discussing a 1970, but the switch installation and removal is the same as your car.

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt455 View Post
Ignore the first response in this thread; scroll down and you'll find the correct instructions.

No KEY need help to get cylinder out - Nova Tech

It's a Nova site and they are discussing a 1970, but the switch installation and removal is the same as your car.

Thanks for the info, I have been trying with a very thin piece of metal to
release the cylinder. I know what slot to go in (the real narrow one) I can
actually feel the release going down but the cylinder only moves out about a
quarter of an inch or so. For some reason it is not fully releasing. Anyway after more research I am finding out that the ignition SWITCH may be the culprit as to why the key will not go in to start position. I understand the
spring action for releasing the key in start position is inside the Ignition switch I would like to check the mechanism behind the key cylinder as well while it is all apart.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info, I have been trying with a very thin piece of metal to
release the cylinder. I know what slot to go in (the real narrow one) I can
actually feel the release going down but the cylinder only moves out about a
quarter of an inch or so. For some reason it is not fully releasing. Anyway after more research I am finding out that the ignition SWITCH may be the culprit as to why the key will not go in to start position. I understand the
spring action for releasing the key in start position is inside the Ignition switch. I would like to check the mechanism behind the key cylinder as well while it is all apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in