Installed Hitch Last Night! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Installed Hitch Last Night!

Curt Manufacturing is making a hitch for '04 and '05 GTO's. I bought mine from DropHitch.com for $119. It has an excellent, shiny black finish and comes with installation instructions. I have photos posted of the installation at: www.tanglewoodbrushstrokes.com Go to Jerry's Page.

After jacking up the rear of the car, you must remove 12 plastic pins that hold the black plastic cover under the car. This plastic cover includes the piece on the right side of the car that runs over to the right side of the rear bumper cover. You do not need to detach this right side piece from the center piece. There are also three bolts that are to be removed, two in the center of the plastic panel and one towards the front of the car. You will discard the two bolts in the center. The cover is not removed, but dropped down to give access to the underside of the car.

Once the cover is down, you will see a series of studs sticking down towards the rear of the car. The hitch attaches to two of these studs with one stud being a larger diameter than the other one. The other two attachment points are where the two center bolts were previously removed. The kit comes with two longer bolts to replace the original factory bolts and with the necessary nuts and washers to attach the hitch to the studs.

Once you have the hitch bolted on, you will have to cut out the two raised round areas on the top side of the plastic cover where the two center bolts were attached. This is to give clearance for the hitch where the bolts attach the hitch to the body of the car. As you will see by the photos, I did not spend much time making these pretty as they are hidden once the plastic cover is re-attached. Re-attach the cover and you are finished.

I also installed the wiring for my trailer. It uses the four pin flat connector. You will need an electronic tailight converter which I purchased at Wal-Mart. To access the wiring, you will need to remove the plastic panel inside the trunk at the rear. There are four screws at the top hidden by plastic covers that are easily removed. There are also six plastic fasteners to remove. Once the panel is out of the way, you can pull back the carpet on both sides to expose the wiring on the tailights. I also removed the carpet covering the spare tire.

There are five wires to hook up with the converter.

White-ground-hooked up to top bolt on the left side under the tailight housing.

Red-Brake-spliced into the blue/red wire on the left tailight plug

Green-right turn signal-spliced into the blue wire on the right tailight plug-Since all the other wires were coming from the left side, I ran a separate wire from the right to the left side and then attached the wiring harness there.

Yellow-left turn signal-spliced into the blue wire on the left tailight plug

Brown-parking lights-spliced into the brown wire on the left tailight plug

I then placed the wiring harness in a plastic protective cover. When not in use, simply place the wiring in the spare tire well. To use, run the cable to the rear and close the trunk on the cable.

Put everything back together and you are done!!

I have a motorcyle trailer and a bike rack that attaches to a hitch which I am looking forward to using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM

Good god, why?
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:12 AM

My thoughts as well. That is what the minivan is for.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub
Good god, why?
That's what people said when I put a hitch on a Porsche 944 years ago. I used to run it at track events and it was a pain in the rear to try to get my track tires and wheels, tools, etc. inside the car. The trailer worked great. I pulled it as far as Road Atlanta from northern Indiana.

When I first began pulling it, I was a rarity. Within a few years, I saw a lot of people using trailers at track events. The advantage was not having to buy a big truck and a car trailer and then having to drive a truck to and from the track. It was much more fun to drive the car even with pulling the trailer. Unless I was driving into a headwind, I didn't even know it was there. And that was with a 150hp four cylinder!

I am looking forward to using it to haul our bicycles when my wife and I want to ride. Also, I have a motorcycle trailer that I occasionally haul. My wife is an artist and she works some art shows where we have equipment and paintings that must be hauled. We have a Mazda Tribute that we have used, but I would much rather drive the GTO than the Tribute.

Last edited by jerhofer; 12-21-2004 at 11:14 AM.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer
That's what people said when I put a hitch on a Porsche 944 years ago. I used to run it at track events and it was a pain in the rear to try to get my track tires and wheels, tools, etc. inside the car. The trailer worked great. I pulled it as far as Road Atlanta from northern Indiana.

When I first began pulling it, I was a rarity. Within a few years, I saw a lot of people using trailers at track events. The advantage was not having to buy a big truck and a car trailer and then having to drive a truck to and from the track. It was much more fun to drive the car even with pulling the trailer. Unless I was driving into a headwind, I didn't even know it was there. And that was with a 150hp four cylinder!

I am looking forward to using it to haul our bicycles when my wife and I want to ride. Also, I have a motorcycle trailer that I occasionally haul. My wife is an artist and she works some art shows where we have equipment and paintings that must be hauled. We have a Mazda Tribute that we have used, but I would much rather drive the GTO than the Tribute.
To each their own, but in my opinion you ruined the car. I have a 2005 Ford Escape (same thing as your Tribute), but no matter how much fun the GTO is to drive (how fun can it be with a trailer on it), I would never put a hitch on it. That's why they make SUVs and pickups. If you wanted a fast car to haul stuff, you should have a got a Dodge Magnum.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub
To each their own, but in my opinion you ruined the car. I have a 2005 Ford Escape (same thing as your Tribute), but no matter how much fun the GTO is to drive (how fun can it be with a trailer on it), I would never put a hitch on it. That's why they make SUVs and pickups. If you wanted a fast car to haul stuff, you should have a got a Dodge Magnum.
I mentioned your comment to my production manager who recently purchased my 2002 Z06 with a Magnacharger. He agreed wholeheartedly with you and thought, that to prevent further humiliation on my part, I should give the car to him to dispose of. However, he did say he thought it might take him awhile to even find a place that would take it. He said he would drive it until he found a place even if it meant being laughed at.

What a buddy!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 06:24 PM

I love the idea. I want to tote bikes and still be able to drive the GTO. Do you have a phone # that I can call to get one.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:09 PM

This hardly 'ruined the car'. If it wasn't a receiver hitch then I may have thought otherwise. I have been thinking about doing this as well to haul my motorcycle from time to time. What is the hitch rated at? (IE Class 1, Class 2, ...)
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 PM

A trailer hitch? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:53 PM

jerhofer - thanks for taking the time to post pictures. The one big limitation of the GTO is trunk space. I just sold my trusted 99 Camaro Z28 to move up to the GTO. I pedal my bike a lot and attend rallies. With the Camaro, I'd pop the hatch and slide my bike in fully assembled. I don't want to car top with my GTO so my only option is a carrier that attaches to a hitch. This is just what I've been looking for.

One question for you. The aussie hitches for the Morono have the receiver up a bit higher and you actually have to cut a notch out of the bumper. Your install looks much cleaner. Now my question, have you had any ground clearance problems going in and out of driveways where the hitch might be dragging?

Last edited by Xman; 12-21-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in