Knocking - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Knocking

I am hoping someone might know what this could potentially be. I typically start my car, let it warm up, and then head to work. About 2-3 minutes into my commute I usually get stuck at a stop light. This is when I hear what sounds like someone knocking on a wooden door. It only happens right after start-up when I am stopped at the light. On the days when I make the light I do not hear it. It is 4 consecutive knocks, like I said, like a knock on a door. The sound seems like it is coming from the passenger side rear of the car. The first time I heard it my wife and I were coming home from dinner and we both turned because it sounded like someone knocked on the car to say hello. I haven't a clue.

I have no warning lights, no squeaks, no rattles, etc. I am at a loss. It does not happen everytime so there is no consistency so I do not feel like it could be replicated by a tech at the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Yeah its a normal noise. Much like everything else on cars its usually louder when the parts are cold. Something to do with the Evap system running a test, it makes a knock knock knock sound in the rear. If its annoying loud then that may be a problem but all the cars do it. Its just doing a little self check. I know the part is right above the rear diff and its a black box mounted on the floor of the trunk.

Last edited by 700Rocket; 12-11-2008 at 04:01 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 PM

HAHAHAHA...this thread made me laugh because the same thing happened to me. I got stopped at a light coming home from work and I hear it. I instantly got pissed off and turned around because I thought someone was hitting the car! Then I just thought it was a ghost in my backseat. Good to know its no big deal....it does sound just like a knock on the the car HAHA

Last edited by WanaGTO; 12-12-2008 at 12:04 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 AM

Good thing i read this thread mine does the same thing i never could figure out what it was.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM

hahaha i always wondered what that was
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loms1977 View Post
I am hoping someone might know what this could potentially be. I typically start my car, let it warm up, and then head to work. About 2-3 minutes into my commute I usually get stuck at a stop light. This is when I hear what sounds like someone knocking on a wooden door. It only happens right after start-up when I am stopped at the light. On the days when I make the light I do not hear it. It is 4 consecutive knocks, like I said, like a knock on a door. The sound seems like it is coming from the passenger side rear of the car. The first time I heard it my wife and I were coming home from dinner and we both turned because it sounded like someone knocked on the car to say hello. I haven't a clue.

I have no warning lights, no squeaks, no rattles, etc. I am at a loss. It does not happen everytime so there is no consistency so I do not feel like it could be replicated by a tech at the dealer.

Do you have a PHAT exhaust?

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:41 AM

Mine does the same thing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 PM

and all this time i thought i was freakin loosing my mind and i told my old lady she was crazy. Dont i feel like an a$$
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to preach
I just heard this noise a couple of days ago and was like wtf?

06 M6 CGM
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Yep LOL!!!! Ive heard that noise several times before. The first time i was sitting in my carport with the engine running and i thought somebody was tapping on my rear passenger side window. But after i heard it a few times i figured it was something with the car. I have never heard any other car make that type of noise before.

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in