Leave it to Engineers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leave it to Engineers

Leave it to engineers to over-engineer things. I am posting pix of the stock and B&M aftermarket shifters. As you will see, the stock shifter set up has many extra peices, and I don't understand why you would want to set things up with all the extra parts. Why is there a second shaft?
Anyways, I have had the short throw in for a couple of weeks now, and I like it much better than the stock set-up. Apart from the shorter movements in the shift pattern, (which is cool,) the shifting is much more precise and positive. Quick shifting between gears during hard acceleration is much more fun and easy. I am looking forward to getting the custom peice from my friend so that I can put my t-handle back in.
For those of you who have complaints about the feel and function of the stock shifter, I would highly recommend a mod to the stock set up. If you don't have any complaints about the stock system, you probably don't need to change anything, because you don't drive like some of the rest of us. No offense intended. I like to drive my car hard, although my wife doesn't care for it very much if she is with me.
Enjoy the pix and info.,

Maximental

Last edited by Maximental; 03-20-2005 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Tried to attach pix..no luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 PM

So far they both look dead even. I count 0 to 0.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
So far they both look dead even. I count 0 to 0.

Huh?
My pix are still pending approval.

Maximental

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Pix approved

My pix are available to see what I was talking about before. Why are there all those extra peices in the stock shifter assembly?

Maximental
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:42 PM

FYI, everybody, the pix are in the photo gallery. I'd say the factory unit shows symptoms of an evolutionary design. It may have been used on other cars with the Tremec -- with a very clean design -- then rejiggered a little for different cars that came out later, then futzed with again for the GTO instead of spending the money to completely design a whole new one from scratch.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:59 PM

I'll take a swag.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the A/M shifter lever is now further away from the driver, engineers are always concerned with ergonomics. Making a direct-action stock one with better ergonomics would possibly bring up the issue of much higher stresses in the lever components. Ergonomics is a personal issue as well - some people have longer arms in proportion to their legs vs. others. An OE manufacturer has to consider the whole population though. That is possibly the first reason.

Possible reason number two - The A/M shifter's main advantage is also related to its main fault. The OE part allows for filtration of noise and vibration coming from the trans (there are additional areas available for isolation). Could have the stock shifter been made more precise while not becoming a buzzing, harsh implement? Proabably, but then cost becomes your next issue, and believe me, as one within the industry I can tell you that this is not an insignificant factor. Why do you think GM just announced the 20% white-collar force layoffs? The rebuttal to that reasoning could of course be that the incorrect choices and skimping in key areas could be a reason for the layoffs as well. ???

Bottom line, it depends on the user if the trade-off made is the best one. Most of us here definitely lean in the direction of a more precise shifter, and would rather live with the extra vibration and noise. I personally would prefer a different compromise with a few extra cents spent; I think that would be proper for a car of the GTO's caliber. There are people out there, however, that possibly wouldn't make the same choice . . .
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:09 PM

quick question does this shifter work on the 05, im 99% sure it does but still want to know?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 PM

Can't help with the reason behind the design, but can help with the pics:

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the info, and help w/the pix.
I have had my T-handle back and on the new shifter for about a week. This is working very well for me. Once again, if you're not happy with your stock shifter, I would recommend replacing it.

Maximental
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:48 AM

So, how would you compare the noise and vibration coming through the new shifter to that of the stock one, is it noticeably worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in