A lemon? Does anyone else have this problem? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A lemon? Does anyone else have this problem?

I purchased my 2006 GTO used back in the summer of 2007 when it has 13,000 miles on it. At 18,000, I was driving on the highway and had the front right tire blow out. I took the car to the Pontiac dealer and they said that all four tires had extremely low air pressure and I needed to replace all four. At 21,000 miles, I took my GTO in for an oil change and Pontiac said that I needed to replace all four tires again, as they had excessive wear. I then researched this make and model and it turns out that NHTSA conducted an investigation into this car relating to this exact matter, and that GM acknowledged a factory defect, however not enough people had complained so a recall was never issued. I then paid for a complete set of new tires. As a remedy, GM gave me a one year certificate for free oil changes and tire rotations... Now, at 33,700 miles, the radiator is cracked which needs repair, and Pontiac is telling me that I need a complete set of new tires again, as the tread has worn. They said that it was normal for this car to need new tires every 12,000 miles, which is just about every year. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you ever heard of a car needing new tires every year or 12,000 miles? Has anyone had radiator problems? I am at the point where this car is a money pit and I will never buy another GM for as long as I live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM

Wow...

I got nothing.

Sounds normal to me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM

How aggressive do you drive?? Tires should last more than 12,000 miles, unless you're buying some very expensive super soft summer tires.

Why don't you just buy some nice aftermarket Ultra High Performance All Seasons with a warranty? Don't get your tires from the dealer.

I put some Bridgestone Potenza Pole Postitions on my GTO. They're awesome and they come with a 40,000 mile warranty.

2004 QSM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Really? So a new set of tires every 12,000 miles is normal?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Garage
19,600 miles on my original potenzas. 6 or so trips to the drags, and the very occasional burnout in a parking lot or two and I still have about 5/32 left. Time to replace them but thats my fault. The fronts are more worn on the inside than the outside but not excessive. I has to have the ac compressor replaced two weeks after I bought it and had the bubbles in my silver trim on the steering wheel but thats it. Bought it brand new in 06.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

1) Sell the car and look for something else
or
2) Fix the suspension problems that is causing your tires to wear. There is a sticky in the supension section that tells you the common problems with them.

And no 12,000 is not normal, unless your am agressive driver with soft compound tires.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
Fix the suspension problems that is causing your tires to wear. There is a sticky in the supension section that tells you the common problems with them.

And no 12,000 is not normal, unless your am agressive driver with soft compound tires.
This. Sounds like you either got bad strut rub and/or spring sag. Or they're pulling your chain... If the inside sidewalls of your tires look untouched then you're fine with any tread depth down to 3/32"-1/16".

Do the radiator yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in