Let the mods begin - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let the mods begin

OK Gang. i have finally decided, after many days debating on getting a Brazen Orange or possible a Z06. I have finally decided to stick with what I have and mod her up.

My goal is to be a consistent 12 second N/A car that looks and sounds fairly stock. so here is what I have got so far.

1. Michelins F1's
2. 3.91 gear
3. New cam (I need opinions of people who have changed and their success/failure please)
4. long tube headers w/ cat delete and maybe a corsa exhaust.
5. Complete Tune
7.Some serious upgrades to the suspension. Very similar to the set up Groucho did.

Questions
1. Is there any benefit to changing the driveshaft on our cars?
2. What is a good clutch set up for our cars?

I plan on this car to last for some time and I am willing to spend the money to do it. I have full access to lift and dyno and several very mechanically talented guys. But they are F/I heads and want me to put a blower on and solve all problems. I had a WS6 that was blown and it completely changed the way the car drove. I am doing the GTO different.

Anyways, thoughts/suggestions/smart ass comments are encouraged and welcomed.

Last edited by dealernut; 12-16-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:04 AM

i plan on putting a textralia clutch with billet aluminum flywheel on. from what advice i've gotten it seems to be the best street/strip package out there
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:55 AM

If you go with the Z06, you'll have an 11 second car EASILY. In fact, with a good launch, you could probably hit the 10s with relatively few mods.
As much as I love my GTO, I'd love a Z06 even MORE.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealernut
OK Gang. i have finally decided, after many days debating on getting a Brazen Orange or possible a Z06. I have finally decided to stick with what I have and mod her up.

My goal is to be a consistent 12 second N/A car that looks and sounds fairly stock. so here is what I have got so far.

1. Michelins F1's
2. 3.91 gear
3. New cam (I need opinions of people who have changed and their success/failure please)
5. Complete Tune
7.Some serious upgrades to the suspension. Very similar to the set up Groucho did.

Questions

I plan on this car to last for some time and I am willing to spend the money to do it. I have full access to lift and dyno and several very mechanically talented guys. But they are F/I heads and want me to put a blower on and solve all problems. I had a WS6 that was blown and it completely changed the way the car drove. I am doing the GTO different.

Clutches are pretty much rated at 450.... replace it. How radical do you want the cam? I can hook you up on the exhaust, LG Motorsports sells a badass Textralia clutch, I can hook you up on all of the BMR/Pedders you want, EDC can hook you up with a cam, Discount Tire for the Michelins (unless you're on the "On a roll" program from GM), and www.difftechnics.com.au can hook you up with gears. Did I leave anything out?

Last edited by GTODEALER; 12-16-2005 at 11:23 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
All sounds good so far bro. Check with Costco (if you're a memeber) for the Michelins, that's where I got mine from. They were the cheapest on PS2s. Have Steve, GTODEALER, set you up with headers, and a Corsa catback, the Lingenfelter GT1 cam and heads, if you want to go different opt for Harrop's Hurricane manifold ($4000 shipped) from OZ, and get with John Wills of Suspension Technology Australia for his amazing Coil over suspension ($2500)!! Have Damian at Harrop.com.au throw in some of their big brakes as well. Jeremey Formato is a great local tuner here in FL too. Semper Fi, Will

Last edited by ftlfirefighter; 12-16-2005 at 11:08 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM

I love my Goat. Don't get me wrong, but it does not hold a candle to a Z06. If that were my option, I'd be in the Z so fast it'd hurt:

It does come in barzen orange you know

Either way, you'll be happy. Enjoy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealernut

1. Michelins F1's
2. 3.91 gear
5. Complete Tune

Questions

The factory driveshaft in the GTO is probably the weakest part of the entire driveline. It's a two piece design that is only 2 inches in diameter and uses rubber mounts instead of u-joints. Not only do the rubber mounts contribute to wheelhop, they are notorious for failing on even slightly modified 6 speed cars. I just ordered a 3'' Chromoly Driveshaft With Billet Yokes from BMR Fabrication. I'll post some pics of the installation when complete.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkRed05GTO
The factory driveshaft in the GTO is probably the weakest part of the entire driveline. It's a two piece design that is only 2 inches in diameter and uses rubber mounts instead of u-joints. Not only do the rubber mounts contribute to wheelhop, they are notorious for failing on even slightly modified 6 speed cars. I just ordered a 3'' Chromoly Driveshaft With Billet Yokes from BMR Fabrication. I'll post some pics of the installation when complete.
Here's a comparison shot of the two:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
According to the fella's at Harrop down under the stock driveshaft is fine unless you're going to drag the car with slicks. They have a blown LS1 with NOS putting down 620+ rwhp running the stock piece.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

As far as the Z06 - I love the car and have sat in it. But I have some negative feedback from owners as far as creature comforts are concerned. I love my color GTO.

I will be talking to Steve later today to get some figures. Thus far you guys gave me confirmation on exactly what I am wanting to do. I appreciate it.

QwkRed05GTO - Thanks for the info. I will be ordering the exact same.

ftlfirefighter - I have an awesome hookup with tires. But Cosco is an excellent source. I know Jeremy. Met him at the Turkey last year. Harrop's Hurricane huh?

GTODEALER - I will call you later today. Which model are we on http://www.difftechnics.com.au/? Dana? or what?

As far as the cam? Again I don't want anything radical. I want a low 12's car that is a sleeper for the most part. So no extremely loud exahust and no big ass tires. Preferably I would like to get a cam that is better quality than stock and gives me a slightly better pull. Nothing extreme at all.

Steve think baby fatbitch. I just want it to whoop your neons ass basically!!!LOL!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in